Lounger
    Thanks

Japanese Document (XP)

I received a document from a client and all I needed to do was print it. Turns out the document was created in the Japanese version of Word and by opening it, a lot of my settings have automatically changed: new menu items have been created, as well as some changes within windows (Format ==> Font has "Asian text font"; Format ==> Paragraph has "Asian Typography; AutoCorrect has additional options and Tools ==> Options now has two additional tabs "Asian Typography" and "Japanese Find"). I also have a Japanese Greetings toolbar. (I had also opened the document in 2000 - there were no changes to settings)

Has this happened to anyone else? What did you do to get your settings back? Is there something I can do/set to avoid this from happening again?
    Thanks,
    Diana

Thanks

Re: Japanese Document (XP)

In Word 2000 I had to work very hard to get those things to install. I guess Microsoft made it more automatic in Word 2002. I haven't experienced this myself, but you could try using the Office installer to see if Asian language support can be uninstalled.

Lounger
    Thanks

After another search of the internet, I found out that the cause of the Japanese settings was the result of having a Registry key added to the Registry when the document was opened. The additional settings were also visible in PowerPoint - so it was an 'Office' issue...not just Word D.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

for those of you that are interested, heres the registry key

remove the asian language code key 1041 (Japanese)

HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftOffice10.0 CommonLanguageResources

note: if there are asian codes you may have to remove these as well.

diana