4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Access 2003 crashes (2003 all updates)

I am wondering if anybody else has had this experience with Access 2003. I use it but keep files in the default 2000 file format.

I am finding that Access occasionally crashes for no apparent reason. When it does, it goes through the process of creating a backup, and you are supposed to be able to recover from that, principally by using the Microsoft Office Application Recovery, but I have yet to find an instance where the database can be recovered.

Obviously, it makes a good case for keeping regular backups. But it's annoying.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Tom

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Access 2003 crashes (2003 all updates)

Very few people are using 2003 exclusively, but we haven't seen many reports of crashes. Is it possible that you have a suspect database that is causing the behavior you are experiencing. If you are doing design work when it crashes, it isn't unusual for it to be in an unrecoverable state when Access crashes, but in my experience the database is typcially recoverable about 2/3s of the time.
    Wendell

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Wendell
    I can't imagine what would cause the database to become suspect. The database is about 2 years old, with recent minor updates. And the crashes I am talking about occur in normal view, not in design view.

I have kept Access 2000 on my desktop, and installed 2003 on my laptop. The database is split into FrontEnd/BackEnd and the file format is 2000. So if I make modifications to the FrontEnd, or want to update the BackEnd, I copy it across my home network. The crashes occur on my laptop.
    Everything will work merrily along, and all of a sudden I will try to run a report, or go to the last record in an invoice form, and the program crashes, with the message that Access has encountered an unexpected something or other and has to close, and do I want to tell Microsoft about the problem. The program then goes through the process of saving a backup, etc.
    At that point, the database is toast. Nothing will recover it. At least, I haven't been able to recover it. If I could recover even 2/3 of the time, which you suggest is your experience, I would feel better about it, but even that isn't a very enviable track record I don't think.

I am still in a quandry about whether to keep Access 2003 on my laptop, or uninstall it and reinstall 2000.

Thanks for your reply. If you have further thoughts, I would appreciate them.

Tom

Super Moderator
    Thanks

If you are normally working in 2000 at work, I would be inclined to use either 2000 or 2002 on your laptop until such time as Microsoft releases a service pack or release for Office 2003. There are several reported problems documented in the Microsoft Knowledge Base that might be possible sources of problems - see for example <!mskb=824276>Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 824276<!/mskb>, <!mskb=819780>Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 819780<!/mskb> and <!mskb=833877>Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 833877<!/mskb> - the only one of these that doesn't appear to be a long-shot is the one about printers. A couple of questions that might be germane:
    - is either your front-end or back-end replicated? (there have been reports of nasty problems with 2000 version design masters being run on 2003 systems)
    - what OS is your laptop running? (general concensus seems to be to not run 2003 on anything other than XP)

Another thing you might consider is running Microsoft's VirtualPC product - that lets you run multiple versions of Office on different PCs. We've found it pretty useful for testing version dependent problems under different operating systems. Of course it does take a pretty robust machine to run - both in terms of RAM and Hard Drive space.
    Wendell

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Wendell
    First to answer your questions...
    1. Neither the FrontEnd or BackEnd is replicated.
    2. Both desktop and laptop are running XP.
    3. As for running VirtualPC, I don't think that's an option for my laptop. Lots of hard drive space but I only have 192 meg of RAM.

Thanks for the Knowledge Base links. I will take a look at them. I have fished around in the Knowledge Base, trying to find something that referred to my specific problem, but didn't find anything perfectly applicable. Maybe one of the 3 you mention will help.

I'll let you know what I find out. But I must say that I am leaning to your suggestion of removing Office 2003 from my laptop and going back to Office 2000. Having crashes for no apparent reason without being able to recover is very disoncerting.

Best regards.

Tom

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Wendell
    Regarding the Knowledge Base articles...

824276 has to do with exporting graphics. Not applicable.

819780 refers to a crash related to Msaccess.exe file. Not applicable.

833877 has to do with digital signatures and grouped controls. I learned early on that if I applied a digital signature in Access 2003, even though the db was in the default format of 2000, the file would not open in Access 2000. Also, I have no grouped controls.

Thanks again, Wendell. They were worth a try.

Tom

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Wendell
    I just thought I would let you know that I have removed Office 2003 and have gone back to 2000.

The all too frequent Access 2003 crashes, which leaves databases unrecoverable, is just too exasperating.

Tom