Star Lounger
    Thanks

Changing licence information (XP)

We have a PC that apparently has been setup with a pirate copy of windows XP (at least that's what the SP1 installer seems to be telling me). However, it did come with a proper CD and hologram sticker. (It had some motherboard problems initially, I'm guessing that the PC builders accidentally left their 'testing' version on the disk when assembling it - needless to say we won't be purchasing from them again).
    Is it possible to install the licencing information from the CD without reinstalling the whole system? There is a fair bit of software installed that I would rather not have to reinstall.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Re: Changing licence information (XP)

I think you're stuck with a re-install and possibly acquiring a legal version of XP. Just because a CD looks legal doesn't make it legal. No reputable PC vendor will knowingly use a pirated version of any OS even for testing. You should consider reporting the PC builders to MS Software Piracy Protection. Also, at that site there is information about determining if your version is legal.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks

Bruce,
    If your hologram sticker has the product key on it ( as it should ), you could run Belarc Advisor on your system and it will list the XP key number that is installed on your system. If it is the same you probably have a legit copy of the OS.
    Either way, I think you are stuck with a reinstall. Why not try a "repair" reinstall which will retain the other software settings.

You can get Belarc Advisor HERE
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

If you perform an in-place upgrade (that is, install Windows on top of Windows) you should get the option to enter the new license key during installation. You will have to re-apply all patches/fixes/service packs, but it will retain your settings.
    -Mark

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Bruce,

Maybe this link will help provide you with a solution.

Cheers, Bob
    Regards,
    Bob

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for all the suggestions. Unfortunately none of the easy options worked. The key replacement option failed saying the new key was not valid. I think this was because the original installation was XP and the (legitimate) disk and key supplied with the machine was XPsp1. The in-place upgrade failed because the SP1 upgrade process won't work with the invalid key.

So I've had to go back to scratch and install from the CD. Activation worked for this, so I presume this means it is legit.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Bruce,
    If you think the original company that supplied the PC is honest and reputable you should contact them and let them know about the 'bad' version of XP. No telling how many other customers have gone thorugh or will go through the same bad experience you've had to. If you think they are NOT reputable see my other post and report them to MS.

Joe
    Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Agree with joeperez. Usually the key for OEM version of WinXP doesn't work on retail version, that's probably why the installer used bootlegged key. If you doesn't have CD with OEM version from computer vendor but retail one, that can means your sticker is stolen from another computer.