2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

help with linking

i am working on a DB which deals with keys. each key can open multiple doors, each door can be opened by multiple keys (master keys, etc.) and each employee can have multiple keys. as of now i have tables for keys, employees, openings (doors), buildings, departments, etc. i started to have each key that opens a specific door have a separate entry than the same key which also opens another door (key aaa6 opens door 1232A and door 1405B) there isn't a limit to the number of doors any one key can open (the great grand master key could theoretically open all doors in the whole building), so i can't just make fields like opening1, opening2... any suggestions on how to group this information to find later on which openings a particular key would open? thanks in advance for your help

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: help with linking

You will need various tables with 1:n relations.
    For example 3 tables, one with details of a Key (master) and another with details of Lock (also a master) and a third with records such as Key - Lock.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: help with linking

thanks andy, but it looks like the info i am using is much more in-depth than that... i understand the concept pretty much, but things are just frustrating me alot. if i sent you a copy of the db (it has only sample info in it currently), perhaps you could go a litte more in-depth?? your help is greatly appreciated

thanks