2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

combos in tables

i am using combo boxes for some of the fields in the tables i am working on. i would like to have one combo box check the value of a field in the same record to give values to pick.. ex. i have a table showing room numbers and which building number it is in. i have another table where i enter data, and when i select a building number (lets say 26) from a combo that checks the buildings available, i would like the combo for the room number to display only the rooms in building 26. i know how to do this with forms, but i was wanting to try something different with this DB. thanks in advance!!

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: combos in tables

It is advisable that users do not work directly in tables. Using a form based interface allows you to handle error trapping, data validation etc.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

i know it is not advisable, and they won't be using the tables. when creating forms, if the tables use combo boxes, the form wizard uses that as a starting point for the display of a control.. i just wanted to find out if it was possible. not really all that important, but it has sparked my curiosity.

thanks

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

No, it isn't possible. Table defaults in Access cannot refer to any other field in the table and table lookups can only look at data external to the table. You cannot use custom functions in them either.
    Charlotte

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

thanks to both of you