New Lounger
    Thanks

Linking To dBase Files (Access2000 sp3)

We have a dBase database that uses .CDX index files. I have a networked Access database that links into the dBase data files. It works on all of our Win98 workstations but one. That workstation complains "Index not found." (Error 3015). If I try to link to one of the dBase files on that workstation, it looks for an index file with extension .NDX

There must be a different driver, or a different Access set-up, for this workstation compared to all the others. Any idea what it might be, and how/where to change it.

Thanks.
    David

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Linking To dBase Files (Access2000 sp3)

In your registry, under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftJet you should find 3.5 and 4.0 (depending upon what all versions you actually have installed. Access 2k uses 4.0, but if you ever had 97, you probably have 3.5. Under those 'version' numbers you should see ISAM Formats. dBase (in various versions) will be under that. On my system, there is no IndexFilter under 4.0, but there is under 3.5. I would start looking in there.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, there were entries under 4.0, but after I removed them I still get the same problem.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

What were they? Did they have the wrong extension? I would have changed them to the correct extension, not removed them.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Well, I put them back. They did say "IndexFilter=dBase Index (*.ndx)". I changed all (dBase III, IV, and 5) for Jet 4.0 to "... (*.cdx)", but still doesn't work.

The Access error message mentions "You can determine the valid index names by looking in the Indexes collection of the TableDef object. Of course it doesn't say how! Is this an avenue worth pursuing, and if so, how?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Okay, never really worked with dBase before. However, I had a similar situation a few weeks ago with someone trying to link foxpro tables. Access refused to link them correctly. It turned out that there were the .dbf files, for the tables, then there were the index files (forgot their extension), then there were .ini files, which Jet created to point to the index files. Those .ini files simply contained a path to the actual index file. Once I deleted (or correctly modified the .ini files), then Access linked the tables fine.

All of the files (tables, indexes, and the .ini files) all had the same actual file name, just different extensions.

The problem in that situation, was that the .ini files contained paths that didn't exist (like mapped drive letters to 'unknown' drives, or UNC paths to computers no longer online.). So look in the folder with those dbase files, see if you can find any .ini files. Even open the files with notepad, see if there is anything obviously amiss.