3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Why tabbed browsers? (the latest)

Woody's latest Windows Watch laments that the latest service pack includes and update to IE, but the new version still doesn't have tabbed pages. My question is, why the heck would anyone want tabbed pages? I mean, sure, if you don't kow how to work the Alt+Tab combination, but come *on*! How are tabbed pages superior to seperate browser windows? Am I missing something?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Why tabbed browsers? (the latest)

Why tabbed browsing?<UL><LI>Less of a footprint - both in memory and on the task bar<LI>Far simpler to keep track of when dealing with more than 3 pages at a time<LI>Far more flexible when dealing with multiple links - for research or for leisure purposes[/list]Personally, I often have 10 to 20 pages open simultaneously. Non-tabbed browsing (when I am required to use such a machine) is a great way of wasting time that I do not have.

HTH
    Gre

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Tabs?

Why would tabs have any less of a memory footprint then multiple browser windows? It's not as if you're actually launching a seperate version of the software (at least that's the case when one IE crashes and brings the others down with it). When Word/Excel switched from the old method of managing more than one document by opening each in its own window, it didn't really have an impact on memory, did it?

I try to keep the browser windows to less than a dozen (about how many books I can keep open at any one time) because I don't group the icons on the toolbar. It seems to me that icon grouping would be somewhat similar to tabbing.

So, how are tabs more flexible with multiple links? I usually open each link in a new window then quickly Alt+Tab between them (as opposed to mousing around).

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Tabs?

<UL><LI>The memory usage was based on readings in Task Manager (provided you're using WinXP/Win2K/NT4)<LI>Once I have to start switching my gaze from the browser window to the task bar, I lose track of which browser window is where in the sequence . (Tabbed browsers can let site icons show which window relates to which link.)<LI>Tabbed browsers let you open windows with a middle button click - and close the windows with a middle click in the tab bar. For me, as a mild RSI sufferer, these are much simpler hand movements than Shift-clicking a new window and then cycling through Alt-Tab.[/list]
    Gre

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I like the tabs simply because I can keep one instance of the browser open for multiple things. Also, I can keep multiple instances open with separate tab groups - very handy for research on a specific topic. Tabs are something that you really have to experience to understand, I think. But once you get into the habit of using them, multiple windows seems very clunky and not at all elegant.
    -Mark

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Have any of you sumitted this to the "Microsoft Wish Program" group at MS?

How to Contact the Microsoft Wish Program http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=114491

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Frankly, even if Microsoft introduces tabs I will still avoid Internet Explorer for the simple fact that it is one of the most insecure browsers around. When Netscape was still a competitor, I used it until IE became the better offering and Netscape faded. Now, Firefox takes that honour (for me) once again.

Not to mention that I doubt Microsoft has any reasonable incentive to do much with Internet Explorer - "everyone" has it anyway, and they have done little in the way of improvement or advances in browsing since they crushed Netscape so many moons ago.
    -Mark

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

<hr>The memory usage was based on readings in Task Manager (provided you're using WinXP/Win2K/NT4)<hr>
    I don't know what platform is in question here, but I started using a tabbed browser (Avant Browser) with Win98. I had been used to having multiple IE windows open and would watch my system resources plummet -- sometimes all the way to single digits (% Resources Free). I switched to using the tabbed browser and I found that I could easily open up more windows and still have lots of system resources remaining.

The difference in memory/resource use would seem to stem from how each page is opened. With IE, additional pages require additional instances of IE to be running, whereas a tabbed browser only uses one instance of the program to display multiple windows, saving on system overhead.