New Lounger
    Thanks

Download speeds (IE6 Win XP)

Hope this is in the right place.
    I download a lot of non copyrighted music just in case thats an issue. The music is all downloaded from 1 site. I have a 512K broadband connection. I should be able to download from this site at 60K (there are no download caps) and I used to d/l at these speeds regularly in the past. My brother suggested a tune up program that had helped the performance of his PC but since I installed this program - my d/l speeds from this site are limited to about 18K. My ISP has not imposed a cap. I removed the program that my brother suggested and this made no difference (in hindsight I wish I had used the roll back feature on Win XP). It appears only this site is affected. Sadly since this all occured some months ago I cannot remember the name of the tune up program. Use of download accelerators is strictly prohibited on this site as the owner pays for the cost of the server so I cannot use GetRight etc other than one file at a time. The files downloaded are large (1G+ sometimes). Sorry for the long post - it takes some explaining.
    If anyone can help I would be eternally grateful. Many thanks.
    Martin

Thanks

Re: Download speeds (IE6 Win XP)

Does the tune-up program have any documentation on what it changes? Maybe there's a simple registry change that can be reversed.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi thanks for the reply.
    Sorry I really don't know - I'll try to find out from my brother what the program was - but he's on the Falkland Islands at the moment so may take a little time to reply and let you know what the program was and whether there is any documentation with it. It was a recommendation from one of the main PC magazines in the UK so it will be a recognised program - sadly the name escapes me.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Some of the the main PC Mags in the UK used to have a searchable back issue archive on thier websites; covering the previous 12-24 months.

You stated that "only this site is affected". If that really is the case, then the issue may be something to do with the site and the owner's ISP.

HTH
    Gre