3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Installing XP from large HD (sp1)

New computer with 2 160GB hard discs. Plan to partition 1st hard disc as C-windows D-progs E-data F-cd images. What I'd like to do is install xp from F, so it will always look there in the future, and never ask me for a CD. I've done this successfully in the past for 98 and 2k, but on much smaller discs.

To cut a long story short, I've been tearing my hair out going round in circles, as FDISK doesn't recognise the whole drive (reporting size MOD 64gb), updated FDISK reports the disk is a tenth of its actual size, and whilst partitioning the disc during xp setup from bootable CD works, when I then boot from a floppy (win98 or similar), it recognises an 8MB NTFS partition that I didn't create, doesn't recognise the partition (all FAT32) where windows is already installed (necessary in order to format it and reinstall), and thus the subsequent drives are all lettered one less than expected.

Is there a foolproof way to redirect XP's "installation point" after installation. That would seem much simpler than trying to work out what's going on here. They seem to exist for Office etc, and even win98 if memory serves me correctly, but I've not seen one for 2k or XP.

If there is no such tweak, can anyone help with the disc visibility in dos issue?

Thanks

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Re: Installing XP from large HD (sp1)

I think if change values for the registry key:
    HKLMSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurretnVersionSetupIns tallationSources
    You'll have what you want

Joe
    Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Mark,

Support for hard drives greater than 137gb only started with Windows XP - SP1. Refer to this article for more information.

I had a similar problem when I recently added a WD 160GB hard drive as a secondary unit. Don't know who manufactured your HD but if it is a WD they have a utility that you can download to assist in proper identification.

The 3rd process I had to include was employing a tool from Intel. Intel Application Accelerator This tool was necessary for my environment but may not necessarily be needed in yours. Worth the research.

Hope this helps... Cheers, Bob
    Regards,
    Bob

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Bob,

In fact, I'm using SP1, and it handled the disc perfectly without any add ons, which was good. The problem was that any attempt to inspect the disc from DOS gave some odd results, which is not only a PITA for what I'm trying to do, but also rather worrying for someone who's always kept a win98 bootdisk handy in case of emergency. It seems I can no longer use this to fix problems. Hmmm.

I'll try that key, Joe. That was what I was looking for, but my searches failed to find (interestingly googling that key turned up just one result - in a dutch forum), but I've had problems in the past with those tweaks sometimes failing. Have you used this successfully? Does it work all the time?

Thanks

Mark

for future searchers! windows xp win xp winxp install point install drive install source installation point installation source installation drive

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Mark,
    I've not had occasion to modify the key. But, I've seen comments in some MS newsgroups about the same issue. You can google the XP newsgroups with:
    install source

Joe
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Just a bit of feedback.

Thanks Joe, I've changed that value and it's worked so far. Just to be on the safe side I changed all the values in that key that referred to my CD drive - I think I probably had to change the servicepacksourcepath as well as the sourcepath as I've read that windows will look there first for the installation files if a service pack has been installed, but I'm not so sure about the installationsources, which seems to reflect the path of the latest installed component, be that windows component or 3rd party. I'm still not sure to do about the CDinstall value, but as I've not had any trouble so far, I'll leave it as it is.

The updated fdisk from MS does work - if you download 263044usa8.exe (or language appropriate version) from MSKB q263044 unzip it, and rename fdisk.98s (if your boot disc is based on Win98SE or, I guess, fdisk.98g if your boot disc is based on Win98) to fdisk.exe it seems to be usable. However there are not enough digits to display the size of the drive interactively - if you want to make a partition or logical drive > 100000MB you have to enter the size as a percentage of the drive.