3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Direct Connect 2 PCs

I have a home office network with a cable modem and 4 port router and 2 PCs running XP Home. I also have a company-provided laptop and router/firewall to be able to create a VPN link to the company's network via my ISPs cable modem. The router/firewall is connected to one of the ports on my home office router.

I have been able to set everything up so that if I connect the company laptop direct top my home office router, it connects to my home office network and shares the PCs and printers without problem. However, when I connect the router/firewall, the company laptop can no loanger see my home office network - thus my dilemma is I cannot print to my home office printers.

One solution would be to unplug one of the printers and plug it into the company laptop - but that requires constantly moving the printer cable back and forth between the laptop and the office PC.

I was looking for another way to connect the company laptop directly to one of my office PCs (via USB possibly???) to gain access to that PCs printer.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Direct Connect 2 PCs

Can you tell us the make and model of the "4 port router" and of the "router/firewall". Can you also explain a bit more about how you set up the VPN. Is this done using software on the laptop or settings on the "router/firewall"

It sounds like your "router/firewall" is routing all packets to the office network, so you may have to change it's setup to route some packets to the home network..

StuartR

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The 4-port router is a Linksys BEFSR41. The firewall router is a D-Link Ethernet Broadband Router. The VPN was set up by the corporate IT people.

I would agree with your second statement. The VPN software is Cisco and I tried checking the "allow local LAN access" but there was no change. I am unable to find a way to get to my local network when I am connected to the VPN. This is frustrating as I cannot access my printers nor backup my software on the local network drives unless I disconnect from the VPN.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I started to ask this question yesterday but hesitated since I know nothing about VPN. So, I'll let you continue with Stuart, but when setting something like this up, do you have the two routers connected via the UPLINK port? If not, could that be the reason for the problem?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The instructions I was provided tell me to connect the WAN port of the D-Link firewall router to one of the ports on the Linksys router (it does not mention the uplink port). I changed the connection to the uplink port and it does not seem to make any difference.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I have two possible suggestions for you.

1. <LI>Ask the people who configured your VPN access if they allow connection to a local network for printing and how it should be configured. Some companies specifically configure their VPN so that all routes are forced down the tunnel for security reasons, so they will tell you that this would violate your terms and conditions
      <LI>Put a second network card on the laptop and connect it directly to the home network. This should allow you to access both without having to make changes to the VPN setup, but may not be acceptable to your employers.
    StuartR

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

1. I was told second hand that this is true.
    2. I have established a wireless connection to my local lan and have checked "allow access to local lan" in the VPN setup. However, I cannot see or even ping anything on the local lan.

Looks like I am stuck swapping printer cables between computers.
    Thanks
    Jim

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The only other suggestion I can make, and this won't work with wireless, is to add NetBeui protocol to all your home computers and your laptop and use this over a separate LAN.

StuartR