Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Excel date functions (Any)

Looking for dates...

with that provocative lead-in, I'm actually looking for code that does what is built into Excel as far as date functions. This is for our web site. It could be in VB/VBA and we'll convert, or PERL, which is what we use. I'd like to be able to take a string, check that it is a valid date, and convert it to a serial number (base doesn't have to be 1/1/1900). Would like to be able to then add/subtract days from the number (that's simple). Would like to be able to convert serial numbers into year, day, month, weekday. Don't need time functions.

I decided to post to here rather than VB/VBA Board but cross-posting by moderator couldn't hurt.

TIA

Fred

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Excel date functions (Any)

VBA does implict date conversions, so if you use US date conventions VBA date manipulations can be easy. The VBA function ISDATE(expression) will return a Boolean indicating if it can or cannot convert 'expression' to a date or date and time, you can use Type Conversion functions CDate(expression) to convert data to dates, CDbl(expression) to convert a date-&-time to a numeric value, and CInt(expression) to convert an integer date only to a number. See also the Format and Date functions in VBA. There are a few odd threads in the VBA Forum about date manipulations, and look for <!post=MACROPODS Star Post,249902>MACROPODS Star Post<!/post> in Word on date arithmetic where you'll find excellent code.

Hope this gets you started.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

John,

Thanks for the response.

Maybe I should not have mentioned VB/VBA because of the built-in conversions, which I forgot.

Again, our web master has written code for manipulating dates (that might be part of a filename) in PERL. She takes apart the date, month, year for the filename and adds x days (which can be difficult), does the same for "today", aand then compares year-today to year-filename, month-today to month-filename, etc.

So we're looking for some general code that provides the functionality of excel in terms of date BIF (don't need time).

[add]
    I'm a little familiar with Macropod's post. Looked at his index and not sure I see what I need. I also know from other posts on that thread that this would not be the way to code things in a programming language but uses what's available in word w/o resorting to any VBA.

Thanks.

Fred

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Is this Perl Date and Time functions resource webpage of use?
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

John,

Thanks. I looked at the link and it looks promising. Of course, I know little about PERL. I'll send over to our webmaster and let her see if it helps.

Fred