Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: DSO Exploit/ running Windows XP pro

I note that the first entry in the Spybot S&D 1.x Support Forum relates to this problem.

Summarised briefly, the non-fixing and return of the 5 DSO Exploit entries is a bug in Spybot, allegedly to be fixed in the next update (whenever that is). There is a messy registry fix which you may or may not wish to attempt.

So just keep clicking on the Search for Updates button!

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Spybot S&D: DSO Exploit/ running Windows XP pro

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by jscher2000 on 17-Jun-04 10:12. Subject line edited to show product (do we need to change our forum posting form??).)</P>Hello,
    After reading all post re Spyware Etc, I was Already using Adware 6 ,Spy Blaster and Norton Internet Security, and pretty well up todate with WINDOWS XP patches I decided to include SpyBot after running a scan it came with 5 DSO Exploit, which I selected the operation to repair., I ran a scan again thismorning and they were back again. What are they and do i really need to get rid of them. Please bear in mind that I am not a computer expert and need guidence

Thamks

Thanks

I ran Spybot S&D for the first time earlier this week. I accidentally let it fix everything (it fixes the "selected" items, which I thought meant highlighted, as in Windows generally, but apparently when they say "selected" they mean the entire list). I was confused by the fix for this particular vulnerability, which seemed to replace the numeric value for Zone Security setting #1004 for My Computer (normally 0, or "Enable") with a blank text or binary value. I renamed the bad fixes in the Registry and manually added new #1004 DWORD value entries set to 1 ("Prompt") instead of SSD's recommended value of 3 ("Disable"). So it will remain listed for me, but I'm ignoring it now. And I'm waiting to see if that prompt ever comes up.

(The vulnerability was that an "unsigned" ActiveX control located outside your IE cache on your computer would be trusted to do anything it wanted. Setting Disable protects you. IE's Tools>Internet Options>Security>Custom Level dialog lets you set this for all the other zones except My Computer, but with another Registry tweak you can add My Computer to the Security tab if you like.)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

There should be a Select All and Deselect All on the context menu, Jefferson. In SpyBot, the checkmarks indicate selected.
    Charlotte