2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Restore Defaults (2002)

Does anyone know how to restore Word's defaults? I've customized a lot of the settings but today I need to introduce a law firm to Word 2002 and I want them to see all the factory defaults. I already tried deleting "normal.dot" and letting Word recreate Normal.... it remembers the old customizations....

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Restore Defaults (2002)

Word also stores a lot of settings in the Windows Registry, under HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftOffice10.0Word. You might use RegEdit to export this part of the registry to a .reg file, then delete it. Next time you start Word, it will recreate the default settings. Later on, you can double click the .reg file to restore you customized settings.

If you don't like to edit the registry, a way to "unregister" and then "re-register" Word is:
    - Make sure that Word is not active (if you use Word as mail editor in Outlook, close Outlook and use the task manager to check that there is no Winword.exe listed in the Processes tab)
    - Select Start | Run...
    - Type <code>"C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOffice10Winword.exe" /u</code> and press Enter.
    - Select Start | Run... again
    - Type <code>"C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOffice10Winword.exe" /r</code> and press Enter.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans: I could not find a ".reg" file in the registry at the path you gave... I did find under User Info a UserInfo file. I also tried
    "C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOffice10Winword.exe" /u
    in the Run window
    It didn't do anything thing that I could see.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

While in the registry editor, you'd select the key (folder) that Hans mentioned, then choose Registry->Export Registry File from the menu bar in RegEdit. That's where the .reg file comes from.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Select Start | Run... (in Windows)
    Type regedit and press Enter.
    This will start the Registry Editor. Be careful not to edit or delete items you don't know the function of.
    It looks a bit like Windows Explorer, with a treeview on the left hand side.
    Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftOffice10.0Word (see screenshot)
    Right click the folder labeled Word and select Export from the popup menu.
    Specify a path and a name for the export file, for example WordSettings.reg, then click Save.
    Next. right click Word again and select Delete from the popup menu.
    Click Yes to confirm.
    Quit the Registry Editor.
    You have now deleted your personal Word settings, but you can restore them at any point by locating the WordSettings.reg file and opening it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: png x.png (13.8 KB, 0 views)

Thanks

Is it too late??? If you start Word from Start>Run using the /a switch (winword.exe /a), I believe it behaves as though it has never heard of you, and it definitely will ignore your Normal.dot and add-in templates (not sure about COM Add-ins).

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

This worked the best of all! Thanks! I'll make a note of it for future use.