4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

MS Project (2002)

I have been tasked to learn the basics of MS Project 2002 and present a demo and/or teach a basic course here. Is there anybody out there that might have a project that I could use to see what is possible out with this software? I also need the xlm file that is created so I can use a viewer to look at the data for those without mS Project.

Thanks

Re: MS Project (2002)

As to projects, I would suggest your try the tutorial. You could try this link to see if there is anything that might help you as well.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/downloads/project.mspx

xlm? You lost me on this. Are you talking about a snapshot viewer, PDF, or other?
    Regards,

Gary
    (It's been a while!)

Thanks

Sounds like your co is just getting started with Project?
    If so, I have a couple of comments.

First of all, Project licenses are not cheap (okay, compared to other Project management software it is, but still not cheap). So, identifying who is going to require the software should be a priority. Which leads to my next comment.
    Project files (and the person responsible for them) are not happy campers if they are passed around with a bunch of people data entering on them (and typically, not everyone will understand Project equally well, lets' just leave it at that). Changes to Project files are cumulative and things can get really ugly fast with some poor soul trying to rescue the results. It just isn't like sharing an Excel file.
    Yet the Project lead doesn't want to spend hours doing the scut work of entering all the details of the project. If so, what to do? You might take a look at setting up Project Server. Once set up, the project lead controls the details of the project, yet others can do the data entry and view reports via your Project web site without having to have a licensed copy of project and while protecting the main project file.
    I admit, I am more familiar with this process with Project 2000 (It was called Project Central then). I know there were improvements in 2002 - but I haven't played with them.

If you are looking for learning resources: I recommend the Que Special Editions on Project (I believe there is one on 2002 - I have them for 98 & 2000). If you are looking for teaching resources, I recommend http://www.digitalcontentfactory.com/. Their materials are of excellent quality (I used to teach using them) and have a good logic behind them - you'll also find the sample data will be created for you.
    [b]Catharine Richardson (WebGenii)
    WebGenii Home Page
    Moderator: Spreadsheets, Other MS Apps, Presentation Apps, Visual Basic for Apps, Windows Mobile

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, they are just getting started but they are cheating in a way. I will be the one to be creating/updating etc. these Projects. The Dept. managers and Project leaders will be using a MS Project Viewer to see whats going on. Right now I need to fine a site that will give me the meaning for all the different symbols in the Gantt charts.

Thanks

Daniel,

As Catherine stated, and I would second that motion, get a book on using MS Project for review. If you have never done scheduling before, you could find that it can get quite complicated if a lot of thought is not put into the project setup. I, for one, have always learned much from the books "---" for dummies. I am sure there is a MS Project book for dummies out there. I also use the Special Edition Using Project xxxx (I have 2000) books by Tim Pyron and find it most helpful. It has a very good overview and examples on setting things up.

Take your time to setup and plan your projects, specifically your data structures and resource pools if you intend to try to roll data up. It will make your job easier in the long run.

HTH
    Regards,

Gary
    (It's been a while!)