Star Lounger
    Thanks

Text in front of object

Excel 97. I want to use the drawing tool to drop a big arrow onto a spreadsheet, and then make cells with data in them display through the arrow object outline where it passes over non-blank cells. E95 used to have a 'send behind text' option, but I can't find anything like it in E97. Can it be done? I guess I'm trying to make the arrow outline object transparent? Thanks, Peter

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Text in front of object

You cannot "send behind text" in XL97, 2000 and if I recall correctly not could you in XL95. However there is a possible workaround.

Place you arrow in a blank work sheet. Select the data you want placed in front of the arrow and holding Shift, go to Edit, select Copy Picture and select "As shown when Printed" for the appearance option. Return to the sheet with the arrow, and holding Shift, go Edit, Paste Picture.

That should place a picture of your data in front of the arrow. If you need the data to update, and it does not after the above operation, select the picture, place the cursor in the formula bar, press = and select the data range.

Hope that works for you

Star Lounger
    Thanks

You're memory is correct: It is Word that has the 'send behind text' facility. Excel has not got it. Word also has the watermark-in-header facility, which is absent from Excel. So much for suite integration! But your workaround sounds good. I'll try it tonight. Thanks! P.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

The imaginative fix you proposed (thank you!) works - but only partially, in that making the whole of the spreadsheet a picture that is added to the autoshape drawing object after it has been saved as a picture, is giving me a big problem: it's proving very difficult to position the picture-on-picture correctly, and it seems certain that later additions of rows and columns will require the whole exercise to be repeated each time. But the final thumbs-down arises from the near illegibility of 9 pt numerals that are revealed when the semi-transparent picture option is invoked.
    I guess that's what is really needed is to be able to do in Excel the watermarks that are done in Word ...

Peter

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Peter,

You can apply a background to your worksheet.

Go to Format, Worksheet and select Background. You will to have an appropriate image to aply, you could create one in PhotoEditor, or Paint and save it as a jpeg. That would most probably be the best option. The image will be tile, so you might need to create a large one to leavejust a singe arrow visible.

Andrew