4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Shortcut Bar Malfunction (2000)

I am using Office 2000 and Windows 98SE. When I click on an icon in the shortcut bar, for example Excel, I get an error message "C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOfficeEXCEL.EXE, This file does not have a program associated with it. Create an association in My Computer by clicking View and then clicking Folder Options."

Clicking the Excel icon in the QuickLaunch toolbar opens Excel no trouble. How do I reinstate the Shortcut bar to its former state? It was working perfectly yesterday! I have never had to manually create associations for it before and am not sure how to go about that. Do I have to do that for every single icon on the shortcut bar? I hope not.

Thanks

Re: Shortcut Bar Malfunction (2000)

I never used the Shortcut bar, so I can't explain the details, but that message makes no sense for a shortcut to a program file. It only makes sense for a shortcut to a document or data file with an unrecognized file extension like .ZYX, etc.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Maybe it does not make sense, but that is the message that comes up (with a different path of course) whichever icon I click, with the exception of a DOSPrompt icon which works fine.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The problem is that the message would imply that the association for .exe files does not work any more, but that is clearly not true, since you can still start programs, for example from the Quick Launch toolbar.

You might try uninstalling, then reinstalling the Office Shortcut Bar (OSB). You will need to have the Office CD-ROM available.

Or you might decide to do without the OSB. Microsoft wants use to use the Quick Launch toolbar instead. There is no OSB any more in Office 2003.