Thread: Peer-To-Peer

Thanks

Peer-To-Peer

I have two pc's in my home... both (presently) on Windows 2000...

If I want to "connect" them, (I think) peer-to-peer connecting is fine, as it's more just to enable data transfers and the like...

Do I need to re-install Win2000 on the two machines in order to enable sharing? What do I do about "mapping" (one drive's 'C' as opposed to the other 'C' drive) and drive naming?

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Peer-To-Peer

Firstly, I hope you don't mind that I moved your question to the Networking forum. I think you'll find more helpful information here on the subject. No, you don't have to re-install the OS on the two computers. But, you do need a network card (commonly called NIC for network interface card) in each machine. Do you have one in the machines yet? When you do, you setup a "workgroup" for the network using the Windows networking wizards. I would also recommend you acquire an (inexpensive) router, rather than a hub, for the router provides some limited firewall security and makes it easier to connect the network to the internet. Do you yet have a router? I use a Linksys BEFSR41 which you can find at many places for about $40. Let us know where you're starting from and we'll go from there.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

How do you connect to the Internet?

If you use any sort of Cable or Broadband access then a router is the only sensible choice. If each PC independently connects via a modem then you can just install a NIC in each one and connect them together with a suitable cable.

StuartR

Thanks

MSKB 258717: Configuring Windows 2000 Professional to Work in a Peer-to-Peer Workgroup should give you most of the setup info you need.

What do you want to do with mapping? You obviously can't have two C-drives - when you get the two pc's talking to each other and can see their drives, you could map the other pc's C-Drive as "H" or any other available letter.

If you do not intend going beyond a network of two, you could skip the router and just get a 'cross-over' network cable - a standard 'patch cable' will not work - but you will obviously still need a NIC (network card or port) in each.

Thanks

bigaldoc (is Al Ok?):

I 'think' my hardware part is 'ok'... Since we have cable in the house, it's a direct connect to one machine, and then to a router (MS 700?), then to the second pc (wireless MS 730) ... but as yest, the Win200o was installed as "non-sharing", so each pc's drives, folders, etc. were named according to separate pc params...

Chuck
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If your network already allows both PCs to access the internet then you should just need to
    <UL><LI>Run Windows Explorer
    <LI>Right click on a folder you want to share
    <LI>Select Sharing and Security...
    <LI>Select Share this folder - give it a simple share name
    <LI>On the other PC run windows explorer
    <LI>From the Tools menu choose "Map network drive"
    <LI>Choose an available drive letter
    <LI>In the folder box you can either browse to your other computer, or just enter ComputernameSharename (where computername is the name of the other computer and sharename is the simple name you just created[/list]StuartR

Thanks

Stuart:

Seemed to go OK at the first end (selection of folder to share), but on the second pc, the first machine is visible, but there are no folders available for sharing...

Do I need to re-start either / both machines?

Chuck

Thanks

Guys:

It's working...!

Took me a minute to catch on... format isn't c:... but inet rather "pcnamer//sharename"...

So now all I got to do is map drives etc...

Anything special about sharing printers?

Regards,
    Chuck

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Sharing printers is pretty much the same. The first time you connect Windows may need to download the drivers from the PC where the printer is located to the one you are connecting - this will only work if they both run the same operating system.

Try it and let us know if you get any problems.

StuartR