2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Mapped drive unavailable (XPP SP-1)

Hi,
    I've shared out a folder and have then mapped a drive letter to it.
    When I try and copy files, I get an error message "Cannot copy file: Access denied".
    I can copy files to the shared folder but not to the mapped drive.
    When I view the properties of the shared folder, I see that the read only
    attribute is green.
    I click on it and I can cycle through a green block, a green tick and empty.
    I then click OK, but when I view the properties again I am presented with
    a green block in the read only block.
    I've checked out other folders and the same behaviour is present on folders
    which aren't shared, yet there is no problem in copying files to any of these
    folders.
    Any advice gratefully accepted.
    Perplexed Michael

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Mapped drive unavailable (XPP SP-1)

I have moved this thread to the Networking board because you are more likely to get help there - <!profile=StuartR>StuartR<!/profile>

Folders on Windows XP are always marked as Read Only. Users can't directly write to the file that represents the folder itself, only the Windows File System is allowed to do this.

Your problem accessing the files via the share is almost certainly because the username you have logged in with over the network does not have the correct access. Do you have a username and password on the computer that the share is on that is identical to the username and password on the one that is connecting?

To check the incoming username on the computer with the share - right click on My Computer, select Manage, expand Shared Folders in the left pane, select Sessions. Now look in the right pane. You should see the username and in the Guest column it will tell you whether this session is using the guest account or a real local username.

Can you try this and tell us what you see.

StuartR

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Stuart,
    All the shared, mapped drives are on the same computer that I am currently sitting at.
    They are not on another PC across the network.
    When I open manage, and then expand the 'shared folders' I only see the message
    'There are no items to show in this view' in the sessions right pane.
    The reason I want to map multiple drives is to emulate the work environment,
    so that I can continue to develop an application to read/create data from/to
    multiple mapped drives.
    Regards Michael

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Very strange.

I just created a share on my computer, mapped a drive letter to it, and looked at the Sessions. I saw my username from computer 127.0.0.1 When I then tried to create a document on the mapped drive I got the same error as you. This was because the share had been created as read only.

Try right clicking on the shared folder (in Windows Explorer) > Sharing and Security > Permissions > select Everyone and check the box for Full Control. You may need to unmap and remap the folder if you change this.

StuartR

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I thought I had done as you suggested in paragraph two.
    Followed your instructions and, sure enough, there was the
    mapped drive which I could then use for reading/writing.
    Many thanks.