Star Lounger
    Thanks

Word changes colors of pasted PPT slide

This qualifies as a bug, as far as I'm concerned (I've filed it at MS) but thought I'd see whether anyone in the lounge had any ideas about a workaround.

A PowerPoint slide that is pasted into Word as a black and white picture reverts to a color picture whenever its Wrapping Style is changed. To reproduce:

1. Create color slide in PowerPoint
    2. Change to black and white view
    3. Change to slide sorter view
    4. Copy slide
    5. Paste slide into Word document (it will be black and white)
    6. Select pasted slide
    7. Right-click and select "Format Object

BAM

Re: Word changes colors of pasted PPT slide

Hi Scott,

I don't think it is necessarily a bug since the Black and White View basically a temporary View in PowerPoint. For example in PowerPoint, change to the Black and White view, save and reopen the file and it returns to Color.

So when you edit the slide in Word (either by double-clicking or modifying the wrapping, etc.) the object is updated in the Word document and the view is discarded.

You can double-click the slide, change to the Black and White and save the file while editing in PowerPoint, however it will revert back to Color if it is edited.

If you do not need to edit the slide then in Word use Edit/Paste Special and paste as a Picture. In this case the Black and White image will be maintained.

As an additional note, if you have several slides to copy/paste, in PowerPoint switch to Black and White View and use File/Send to Microsoft Word. This will create a new document and copy the slides as pictures.

There are several layouts to choose from. If you want just the slides then I use "Blank lines below slides". Then to "clean up" the lines and what not I use the following in Find/Replace:

Find: _ (Underscore)
    Replace With: (Leave Blank)
    Replace All

Find: ^m (Manual Page Break)
    Replace All

Find: ^p (Paragraph marks)
    Replace All

Find: Slide Slide??? (Text under slide, Slide 1, etc)
    (Turn on Use Wildcards)
    Replace All
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    Cheers!

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I agree with your observations about the B&W view in PowerPoint being a temporary view. However, I'm not convinced that what I've described isn't a bug -- recall that I'm not actually editing the pasted slide, I'm merely changing it's placement on the page by adjusting the wrapping attributes.

A big thanks for the workaround, though. Paste Special as a picture allows me to re-wrap to my heart's content

BAM

Hi Scott,

<<I'm not actually editing the pasted slide, I'm merely changing it's placement on the page>>

On one hand I agree, however my logic behind this is when you change an object from floating to inline or vice-versa, Word needs to update the object in the document just as it updates the object if you double-click to edit it.

I believe it has to do with moving the object to a different document layer and depending on the document layer it displays it differently. Have you ever noticed that a white background will turn a little pinkish on an inline object? I have yet to determine why it does this. But then graphics are not one of my strong points. <grin>
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Cheers!