4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

IE sign up file corrupt (IE6 (XP))

A friend recently reinstalled XP after a prolonged period of system instability. She then tried to connect to the internet via her ISP (BTInterent). However, she keeps on receiving a message from the Internet Connection Wizard that the Internet signup file is corrupt and setup will be aborted. I suggested that she uninstall IE then reinstall and try again with her ISP setup disk. Any better advice?
    <font color=blue><font face="Script MT Bold"><big>Rob</big></font face=script></font color=blue>

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Re: IE sign up file corrupt (IE6 (XP))

Was this a reinstall from scratch or a reinstall over the existing install? Was SP-1 installed?

Joe
    Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Joe,
    It was an install over the previous. I'm not sure if SP-1 was installed. I'll need to check that out.
    <font color=blue><font face="Script MT Bold"><big>Rob</big></font face=script></font color=blue>

Administrator
    Thanks

Don't forget that in addition to Sp-1 there are lots of other hotfixes available via Windows Update.

Joe
    Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Will apply the hotfixes when she gets connected, but this is the problem. I've advised her to reformat HD then install XP.
    Two questions:
    1. I've been told that you don't have to change boot order settings in the BIOS when using the XP installation disk. Is this true?

2. I've created a CD with the Service Pack 1a exe file on it. I have suggested that she install this prior to obtaining an ISP. Is this sensible?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

>1. I've been told that you don't have to change boot order settings in the BIOS when using the XP installation disk. Is this true?
    As long as you don't have (say) a bootable floppy disk in place that will supersede the XP CD.

>2. I've created a CD with the Service Pack 1a exe file on it. I have suggested that she install this prior to obtaining an ISP. Is this sensible?
    I take it that you mean that SP1a has been slipstreamed in. This is a sensible option.

HTH
    Gre

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the response.

<I take it that you mean that SP1a has been slipstreamed in. This is a sensible option.>

No. It is just the exe file. Does this matter?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I am trying it this way because the XP installation disk is in Aberdeen (Scotland) whilst I am in central England. In UK terms, quite a separation. I was intending to post the CD to her.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

I think I now understand you to mean that <UL><LI>you are supplying her with a full basic XP install disk <LI>together with the Setup.exe file for a web install of SP1a.[/list]There are in fact a fair number of other files that are altered in SP1a. Your method has the benefit of saving the step of having her log on to Windows Update and install the ActiveX control.

The logistics speak for themselves.
    Gre

Administrator
    Thanks

1.) How is she going to format the HD? She can do it as a step in the XP install. But, if that is the choice the BIOS boot order should be checked to ensure that booting from CD is before HD.
    2.) Is it advisable to get as many security patches applied as possible before connecting to anything. Additionally, she should be running a firewall and anti-virus software when she connects.

Joe
    Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Joe and unkamunka for your advice upon which I will act.

Thanks

Hi, Rob ~

You mentioned the use of the 'Internet Connection Wizard' - do you mean the ICW in Windows or are you referring to the set up program of the ISP's disc?

You do not need to use Window's ICW. Once IE and Windows is fully installed and updated, then run the ISP's disc.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Bruce,

The message pops up after running the IPS disk. Everything seems to set up OK but when the IE is opened for the first time the trouble begins. Not only this message but another message appeared suggesting that 'Unauthorised Spyware may be installed on your system. Go to some URL' (forgotten it know). Another large message box appeared advertising a lewd web cam site. All this from a clean reinstall. Needless to say, She didn't. She ran Spybot S&D and Adaware but they reported no problems
    Intriguingly, exactly the same thing happened three days ago when a different friend upgraded to XP from ME. Same messages appeared upon opening IE for the first time. After running another ISP set up, he now has a trouble-free connection.
    Very odd.