New Lounger
    Thanks

Table of Contents (2002)

I am preparing a large document that has been broken into three sections or files. I have had no problem producing the first two sections complete with the appropriate and sequential page numbers as well as a table of contents and an index for each section but the third section does not seem to work properly. I can set up the document to start on page 256 but when I regenerate a Table of contents, the page numbers reset to start on page 1!

Any ideas on what I am doing wrong?!

Thanks!

Thanks

Re: Table of Contents (2002)

Are you saying that the actual page numbers go back to 1, or the TOC shows 1 for page 256? (Neither is good, but one might be a known bug.)

Naturally, complex files like Word's .DOC format occasionally become corrupted. To avoid data loss, you can try to create a new document without extraneous data by one of the following methods:

(1) Save As... Rich Text .RTF (using a new file name), open the RTF file, and Save As... Word Document .DOC (not replacing your original document!).

(2) Create a new blank document and use Insert>File.

If either of the new documents behaves better than your original document, well, there you go. If not, then presumably there is an error or bug in the way you're handling either the page numbers or the TOC.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, the page numbers go back to 1! I will try creating a new file! Many thanks for the suggestion.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Actually I told you the wrong thing. It wasn't the Table of Contents that kicked the pages back to page 1, it was an index I had created. Saving the file as an RFT and then back to a Doc file took care of things!

Thank you for "fixing" this for me! You just saved me hours of anguish!