New Lounger
    Thanks

SEQ field for list and sublist (Word 2003)

I am trying to use the SEQ field to create numbering for a list and sublist. I want my list items numbered 1, 2, 3 and my sublists lettered a, b, c. I was using the field codes {SEQ Step r 1} and {SEQ Step n} with autocorrect entries for the numbering and it worked great. Then I added {SEQ Step r 1 * alphabetic} and {SEQ Step n * alphabetic} for the letters. The problem is that they aren't exclusive. My list is now 1, 2, a, b, c, 4 (4 following c, or 3). How should I set this up so the lists are exclusive? The numbered steps and lettered substeps might be separated by unnumbered/unlettered paragraphs and all numbered steps may not have subletters. If possible, I'd prefer to do this with the SEQ field than with heading styles.

Thanks

Re: SEQ field for list and sublist (Word 2003)

I don't use SEQ fields much, but I suspect you need to give different series different names (like StepMain and SubStep) in order to keep them from interfering with one another.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: SEQ field for list and sublist (Word 2003)

Thank you! I never understood that the "Step" was a title and not a command. This forum is so helpful--thanks for your time.