3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Numbering Headings (Word XP)

Hi, all. this time, I am asking for opinions and advice, not a solution to a problem (yet!)

I'm creating a template for users in my company. While the outline structure of the documents that will be created is not always the same, they are all formally structured and numbered. Each heading level is to be numbered using the scheme 1., 1.1, 1.1.1, etc.

Having heard not-always-flattering comments about Word's auto-numbering abilities, I wonder if the consensus here would be to have them numbered manually (and re-numbered manually as document sections are moved around), or whether I should leave the numbering to Word via the style definitions. Because of the hundreds of users who will be working with this template (and because the extent to which they hash, thrash, and abuse these documents leads to frequent cases of document corruption), do people feel that Word is up to the task? Or should I just rely on manually typing the heading number?
    <font face="Comic Sans MS">That's what you do in a herd; you look out for each other!</font face=comic> - Mike

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Numbering Headings (Word XP)

(Edited by HansV to make URL clickable - see <!help=19>Help 19<!/help>)

First, please read http://www.microsystems.com/PDFS/sevenlaws.pdf
    Microsystems are good guys, with (expensive) tools for profiling documents. They're friends but I do not currently have any financial relationship with them.

When you work with heading numbering, give the list a "ListNum field list name" (seen in the "More" section of the details on the Outline-style numbering). Then, always refer to that named list template object in code, and make sure the named one is what you mess with in the dialogs. Always. I mean it.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Numbering Headings (Word XP)

Word's heading numbers are pretty reliable for the sort of simple numbering scheme you have described, and I can almost guarantee that manually numbering the headings will lead to mistakes being made.

People do run into problems if they don't make absolutely sure that all styles that are levels of the same list use the same List Gallery entry. See the "List Numbering" section of the Word MVP's FAQ for more help on Word numbering.

StuartR