New Lounger

Looking for a robust document control system (Word)

Hello, loungers! I am a writer working in a mid-sized company. We have 16 branch offices worldwide, and have decided that we want to use one system for documentation control. I am sure that someone here has input on what kind of system we may want to buy that can provide:

1400 Users accessing the system worldwide
    10,000+ documents in the library (most of them Word documents)
    Documentation versioning control
    Easy uploads of all document types
    Fast access of all document types (including Adobe Acrobat files!!!!)
    Document sharing and collaboration control
    Electronic signatures

Are there any power users out there who can tell me what kind of solution makes sense? Cost is always a concern, but this company will spend whatever it takes to get a system that works well. My company has access to a HUGE internet pipe, so bandwidth for a web based application is also not a problem.

So, it would be great if you could help me with a solution!
    Thanks in advance.

Silicon Valley, USA

Re: Looking for a robust document control system (Word)

I can speak only for the law office market. The most commonly deployed "heavy duty" systems are: iManage and DOCS Open. Smaller firms tend to use WORLDOX and a number of case management systems.

If you want to be on the bleeding edge, you could build yourself a SharePoint portal, or if you believe in open source, you could look at Plone...

Probably the most critical variable, in my view, is the collaboration feature set. If you just need check-in and check-out, versioning, full text indexing, and worldwide secure access, many products will satisfy you. If you want particularly tight integration with Office and Acrobat, that narrows your choices, and if you want built-in workflow/routing/approval functions, or tight integration with Exchange, you need to write a solid RFP and see who can meet your needs.