3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Inserting column after merging cells (Word 2002)

I'm sure that this question has been asked before, but I've been unable to find the answer.

We use tables in Word a lot. We sometimes merge cells in a row to make the text flow across multiple columns. Of course, once the cells are merged, the boss wants to add another column. What are the tricks to get the column into the table without having the vertical borders off plum? Everything we try (short of splitting all the merged cells) results in the vertical borders being unconnected.

Is there any documentation on the rules for tables? Should we be doing the tables in Excel and inserting into Word? The problem with using Excel is that some of our tables are several pages in length.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Inserting column after merging cells (Word 2002)

The word MVP site has tips on using tables: Table Basics.<blockquote><hr>Merging should be approached cautiously and conservatively. Don

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Hans.

I didn't see anyway to quickly get the column borders realigned after splitting the merged cells. If we split the cell back to the original number of columns, the borders (cell widths) don't away line up with other cells in the column. Is there a quick way to get all the cell borders back in line?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

It's probably easiest to copy any text from the merged row you want to keep to the clipboard, or to another part of the document, delete the merged row, insert a new row in the correct position (it will inherit the column widths of the existing rows) and paste text back into the new row.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks again, Hans.

That work-around is one of the plans that we discussed here. I suppose it is too much to ask for something easy.