Thanks

Windows Multi Media

I ran spybot yesterday and it found a hit on two registry entries for Windows Multi Media. I'm not sure if it is safe to remove it or not without affecting Multi Media. Has anyone else had this experience and deleted the entries?
    You know it's time to diet when you push away from the table and the table moves.

Thanks

Re: Windows Multi Media

Can you post the details? I have various Windows Media Player-related entries under these keys:

<big>HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftMediaPlayer
    HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftWindows Media
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftMediaPlayer</big>

I have no idea of the significance of any of these, but that's what I see. Where and what do you have that Spybot S&D is reporting?

Thanks

Hi, Jim ~

Unless you specifically made entries in the System Internals tool, then all they are are usage tracks which are completely safe to remove.

Thanks

Hi,

Thanks for the response. I reran Spybot again but this time it turned up only one registry entry. It has this information

Windows Media Player: Client ID (Registry change, nothing done)
    HKEY_USERS.DEFAULTSoftwareMicrosoftMediaPlayerPlay erSettingsClient ID=

I was wondering if some ad program or something may be hiding under a different registry entry like Windows Media Player. I'm just not sure why SpyBot would think it was an advertisment program. I'm tempted to get rid of it and see what happens. I can always reinstall it (crossing fingers) if something goes wrong.
    You know it's time to diet when you push away from the table and the table moves.

Thanks

Among other things, Spybot seems to look for information that could be used to track your browsing habits. Perhaps the "ClientID" is such a code (like a cookie) and therefore it offers to clear it?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

I think this might be the key that hold the unique ID that WMP can generate. Most people have that setting disabled - Tools | Options | Privacy | Send unique Player ID to content providers. If there is nothing in the key value I don't see the harm. If you are worried export the key to a file and then delete it. If there seems to be a problem later reimport the saved file.

Joe
    Joe