3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Text Box Limit (Access 2002)

Hi. I have a quick question: I have a form that pops up automatically when a certain database is opened, and there is a text box (with vertical scroll bars) on it that displays a list of all files in a certain subdirectory that are more than 48 hours old. Today, I noticed that 1) a check of the directory itself showed that there were 92 files that met that criteria, and 2) the text box was empty. This box has always worked before, although there have never been more than a dozen or so "old" files that needed to be listed.

What is the limit of the length of a string that I can put in a text box? (The list in question would have been over 5,000 characters.) I was able to trap the error (error 2176), but I can't find any mention in the help file of just what the limit is. Knowing it would be nice so that I can provide a more elegant error-handler (e.g. If len(oFiles) > too_many Then...)

Thanks in advance for your help!
    <font face="Comic Sans MS">That's what you do in a herd; you look out for each other!</font face=comic> - Mike

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Text Box Limit (Access 2002)

A text box can display up to 65535 (= 2^16 - 1) characters. It can be found by looking for Specifications > Form and Report in the online help.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

As Hans pointed out, a checkbox can hold enough data to handle what you have; and even if you exceeded this limit, I'd think Access would just chop the results. I'd guess you have a problem in the function that fills the textbox.
    Mark Liquorman
    See my website for Tips & Downloads and for my Liquorman Utilities.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Just to make sure, are you really dealing with a textbox, or is this a listbox? Listboxes and comboboxes, when you set a string to their ValueList, are limited to 2048 characters. You can program around this by using a callback function, instead of a value list.