2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Opening Microsoft Works DB in Access

I have a database that was created in Microsoft Works and I would like to open it in Access 97 or 2000. I don't have a copy of Works to Save As something. Can't just open it up in Access. Any hints??

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Opening Microsoft Works DB in Access

I don't know about 2000 but '97 cannot open/import Works Databases. Unfortunately, as you hinted, it needs to be saved from Works in a recognized format dBASE IV for example.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Opening Microsoft Works DB in Access

Sherri: I faced this same situation today, and Brian Swann's reply to your question helped me solve the problem. You may have worked this out by now, but just in case, here's what I did. First, I opened the original database ("address.wdb") in Works. Then I saved it as a "text and commas" file. This action converts the Works database file to a plain-vanilla comma-separated-values file, which Access can import. In fact, the file name becomes address.csv. Next, I opened Access, created a new database and gave it a name. Then I went to File>Get External Data>import... and imported address.csv. Now Access asked me to assign a name to each of the fields (e.g., LastName, FirstName, Add1, Add2, etc.) It was quite easy. I hope this helps.