Star Lounger
    Thanks

Word Art (FP2003 XP)

I am aware that it is best to use a limited number of fonts when designing a web page, the reason being that you want to make sure that the font you use can be seen as it is meant to be seen by all viewers. But if you use Word Art, does that change anything? Can you use a more obscure font with Word Art and will the viewer then see the font the way it was meant to be seen? Or is it better to use the same limited number of fonts with Word Art for special effects?

Marilyn

Thanks

Re: Word Art (FP2003 XP)

I don't have FP 2003 - but previously using Word Art would create a graphic, which would be fine for logos and things like that. However, for a lot of text, I would think it would be darn annoying for the user.

Cheers
    [b]Catharine Richardson (WebGenii)
    WebGenii Home Page
    Moderator: Spreadsheets, Other MS Apps, Presentation Apps, Visual Basic for Apps, Windows Mobile

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Catharine,

Actually this was to highlight some headings for several sets of bullet points. The web is being created for someone running for County Commissioner in my town. I know that if I use an unusual font that only those with that font installed on their computer will see it as the actual font. Those without that font installed will see whatever their computer chooses to replace the font with. But when using Word Art, it does as you said, create a graphic of sorts. I am just wondering if you use an uncommon font when manipulating it with Word Art if it will be seen as a graphic in the same font I choose or if the viewer will see a graphic with a substitute font. When I create Word Art text, the text is not saved as a graphic.

Unfortunately I have not completed creating the web site, so haven't published it yet. Once I publish the web, then I can view it on a computer that doesn't have this particular font installed and will have the answer :-) Just trying to hurry things up a bit :-)

Marilyn

Thanks

When you view the HTML for your page, what appears where the WordArt goes? If it's an IMG tag with a SRC= and a standard image file type such as GIF, it should be fine. If it's something complicated with an OBJECT or EMBED or VML, or some kind of WEBBOT code, there could be "issues."

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi there,

I checked the code and it was not the positive way to handle this. So I simply used Snag It to capture the text and then converted it to a .jpg. Since I have a textured background, the .jpg file replicated the background behind the text better than when I saved it as a .gif. This did add a little download time to the page, but not that much.

Thanks for your suggestions.
    Marilyn

Thanks

If you have a photo editing program, or maybe even IrfanView, you might try erasing the background and saving in GIF or PNG. A transparent background is going to be more flexible than one that might move a few pixels and ruin your matching. On the other hand, if you have a busy life, it probably isn't worth it!

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi,

Actually I can edit objects quite quickly. This particular Word Art object adds a shadow to the font, which I like. And I find that when placing an object in gif format that has a shadow on top of a textured background on a web, the shadow distorts. I'll give it a try though. FP will also allow you to choose what you want to be transparent and sometimes that works even better. I'll give both a try.

Thanks again,

Marilyn