3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Transpose (Excel 2003)

See Attachment. I selected cells a1:f1. Did a copy. Then I selected cell A3. Did an Edit / Paste Special / select Transpose OK. I get the correct answer. The questions is: When I select More Functions... there is a Transpose function. Can I use the Transpose function instead of the steps I just did above? If so how? What is the purpose the the Transpose function?

Thanks

Re: Transpose (Excel 2003)

You could select A3:A8
    enter the formula
    <pre>=transpose(A1:F1)</pre>

confirm with ctrl-shift-enter
    And in the cells A3: A8 will be the array that is the transpose.

Transpose is an array function. If you change the contents of A1:F1 the formulas will update so your values in A3:A8 will be live. You will not be able to insert rows into 3:8 since you can not change the array this way (this could be good or bad for you).

Steve

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Transpose (Excel 2003)

You can use the TRANSPOSE function but it will need to be entered as an array formula.

In your example select cells A3:A8 then type =TRANSPOSE(A1:F1) and enter the formula using Control+Shift+Enter

The main difference between the 2 methods is:

Copy/Paste Special - this creates a new list that is independent of the original data.
    Transpose function - the new transposed list is directly linked to the original list. Any changes to the original list will show up in the transposed list. The original list must not be deleted.