2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Display PDF in Word document (Word V 2003 SR 11.6113.5703)

I'm using Windows XP and Word 2003 SR 11.6113.5703. An attorney here is creating a document that he wants to insert a PDF into and have it display inline and print as though the whole thing were a continuous document. I can find how to use Insert/Object and then select PDF but that only puts a big graphical type icon on the page that you have to click to open the PDF in Adobe Acrobat in a separate window. I considered converting the PDF to tif images and inserting those. Does anyone have any ideas?

Word Witch - back after a long away [img]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Display PDF in Word document (Word V 2003 SR 11.6113.5703)

Some possible solutions:

* Convert the Word portions to PDF and insert them into the PDF doc, instead of the other way around
    * Convert the PDF doc to MS Word (requires full version of Acrobat, not reader)
    * Select graphic of each page (instead of text), copy and paste into Word (I've been trying to use OLE automation to do this, right now, no luck -- just returns empty bitmaps)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Your first suggestion sounds the best way to me and I'm going to try to sell him on that idea.

However, on the second one, I have the full version of Adobe but I have never converted a PDF to MS Word - only the other way around. How do I do that?

On the 3rd idea - the PDF can be exported as TIFF, PNG, or JPG so that would be a possible way to get graphical images - I just hated to mess with trying to paste all those graphics into the document in the correct order. Your first idea is definitely the best solution if I can get him to go for it. I'm not aware of any reason why he shouldn't other than it isn't what he initially came up with to do. [img]/forums/images/smilies/wink.gif[/img]

~Word Witch~ back after a long away

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Using Adobe full version, I did save a PDF as an RTF document but WHEW was it ugly and messy when I opened it up. Lost all the original formatting. [img]/forums/images/smilies/sad.gif[/img] So, I've submitted your first suggestion to the attorney and hope he goes for it. [img]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

~Word Witch~ back after a long away

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I have heard that Acrobat 6 does a better job of extracting to Word than the earlier versions. I know I don't much like Acrobat 5's attempts much.

If acrobat can't convert the PDF to a Word format properly then there is other software that can. One possibility is called Solid Converter PDF although I haven't tried it out yet so I can't vouch for it.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Acro 6 is better, but still a long way from round-trippable. Even though it claims it's saving to "Microsoft Word (*.doc)", it's still RTF. That in itself shouldn't be a problem, as RTF should be able to represent everything in the doc, but it really doesn't make it.
    Graphics don't align (particularly bad with a table of icons and descriptions -- icons presented, then descriptions show up below it), table and tab oriented formatting is completely awful.

If you need the text content, and the fonts are important, you're cool. Page-faithful really doesn't happen.

I just ran a test, and conversion to HTML wasn't any better. EPS might be the way to go.