Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Cross Reference to records (XP)

It's Friday afternoon and I am frazzed...so my apologies before I start.

I have a colleague creating a database where he has a a few thousand properties in a table. Some of these properties may have a 'common link' to them, for example "Requires Roof Repair".

He has created a Form showing the property details and has now created a subform that shows that the current property( say 25) has a common link with property 26. He wants to go back to property 26 and it will show that 25 is linked to it automatically without double key entry.

I have told that with his current method where there is a 1 to M relationship will not work as he has linked the Child/Master to the Property ID.

Is there a method where, if he puts a linked property into a form it will automatically update the other property.

Jerry
    Jerry

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Cross Reference to records (XP)

Could you try to explain that again, with some details about table structure?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Hans

Thanks for getting back to me. I have had the weekend to think about it and I have now worked out my problem.

To answer your question though and to explain how I did it:

I finally went for the KISS principal as my colleague had done a lot of work on the DB and was pulling his hair out with the thought of redesigning the table structure. He had a main table called tblProperty and another called tblXRef. He had created a 1 to M relationship between the tables ( tblProperty(1-M)tblXRef).

He had created a form with tblProperty and a subform (using tblXRef).... this showed that he could enter a reference that the property could cross reference. My problem was that this was not reciprocated in the other Property as the relationship was 1 to M.

Now here is my thinking, the existing form/subform set had its Master/Child relationship set to the ID/IDof the set. This subform had an extra field ( call it Xref for arguments sake) where the user inputted the file they wanted to cross reference. I therefore created a new subform with the Master/Child set to ID/Xref. Bingo Job done.

This now showed a list of cross referenced. I have attached a basic model to share. If you have any other ideas, it would be interesting to hear from you.

Jerry
    Jerry

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, that looks OK. KISS, as you write.