New Lounger
    Thanks

Office 2000 HTML (Word 2000)

I'm trying to position text absolutely using CSS position absolute top/left in HTML that will be viewed by either a browser or Word 2000. When the HTML is viewed using a web browser, the text appears at the appropriate location. When the same HTML is viewed using Word 2000, the text is not positioned as expected. It would seem Word is ignoring the absolute positioning.

Has anyone experienced this and developed a solution or does anyone have any thoughts on how this can be resolved?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks

Re: Office 2000 HTML (Word 2000)

Can you post a sample document (either as a DOC or in a ZIP archive)?

I don't use the "Web Layout" view, so I don't have any opinion on how well it mimics Internet Explorer, but I'd be willing to take a look.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your kind offer to review the problem. While I can't send you the actual data, I have created a small representative sample of the problem I've encountered, cleansed of any proprietary data. If you view the sample in IE, you'll see there are 'columns' of data, which, when viewed with Word, do not align. If fact, you'll see that for the second and third last lines, when viewed with Word, the data is presented in the order in which it appears in the HTML, not the positions as specified in the HTML.

Any thoughts on how to resolve this problem are most welcomed.

TIA
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks

The problem is equally bad in Word 2002. The way Word does absolute positioning of text natively is with its Frame and TextBox features. Clearly, the built-in HTML interpreter doesn't do that conversion, and developing a tool that could do it probably would be pretty complicated and would yield a document that users find hard to work with. I think if you are targeting Word 2000-2002, you might have to go back to old-fashioned constructs such as HTML tables.

Maybe Word 2003 handles this better?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for looking at this for me. I did manage to resolve the positioning issue by using VML textboxes and placing the text inside the textbox. In order to have Word correctly paginate the document (when viewed under Print Layout), I had to put in '<br clear=all style='page-break-before:always'>' at the page break point. Also, when you do that, Word's Print Layout view recognizes the VML vertical positioning as relative the top of the page, so in order to also view the document in a browser or Word's Web Layout, I had to condition the vertical positioning command to use a vertical position relative to the top of the page when viewed with Word's Print Layout view and to the top of the file when viewed using IE and Word's Web Layout view.