Lounger
    Thanks

Can't Delete File in My Music (Win XP)

I make videos and found, much to my surprise, an 800 MB file I had been working on in the "My Music" folder along with a few other files. To the best of my knowledge, I didn't put any of them there, but there they were nonetheless. I deleted all of them except the 800 MB file. I get a message that says that there is some program using this file and Windows will not let me delete it. No other program is open (like RealPlayer or MediaPlayer), and I'm stumped. I checked the properties, and it is not "read only" or anything else. Any suggestions on how I can delete this thing?

TIA,
    RR

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Can't Delete File in My Music (Win XP)

Does this persist if you shut down and restart your PC?

Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, I should have mentioned that. I have shut the PC down many times since first discovering this file.

RR

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Can you see in the Task Manager, in the Programs or Processes tab, if there is an application running that might have this file open?

You may have some piece of unwanted software automatically starting with Windows; see <!post=Anti Adware / Spyware / Hijack,296439>Anti Adware / Spyware / Hijack<!/post> and <!post=Spyware/AdWare/Malware FAQ and Removal Guide,378115>Spyware/AdWare/Malware FAQ and Removal Guide<!/post> by KenK about the software you can use to get rid of unwanted programs.

Perhaps you can delete the file if you start in safe mode (press F8 a few times while booting the PC.)

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

To find out what process/program is using the file you can use a freeware program from Sysinternals, Process Explorer

Within Process Explorer (it's like Task Manager on steroids) select Find>Find Handle - you can then enter the file name and Process Explorer will tell you what program is using it.

Lounger
    Thanks

YOu and Hans have given excellent suggestions. I have checked the Task Manager and there are no programs running (that would account for the problem), but starting in Safe Mode and/or trying Process Explorer are great ideas. I'll let you know what happens.......

RR

Thanks

Hi, RR ~

I would first try deleing it in safe mode, but if it is still in use, you will need to quit explorer.exe via the Task Manager, then delete it from the command line, then re-start explorer.exe.

There are some detailed steps that explain how to delete files locked in use by explorer.exe by fellow Loungers R2 and/or joeperez a year or two ago, but unable to find them in a Lunge search right now.