New Lounger
    Thanks

Report doesn't run (VB6)

(Edited by HansV to provide link to post, and to indent using <!t>[tab]<!/t> tags - see <!help=19>Help 19<!/help>. Also removed superfluous line ends - the browser will wrap lines automatically.)

I have a report which runs fine on the machine on which the program was developed but when packaged and installed on another machine I get: 'Run Time Error -2147220992 (80040200). Provider cannot be found. It may not be properly installed.'

The report is associated with a Data Environment and the associated code is:

Private Sub mnuFileReport_Click()
    If deEnvName.rsRecSet.State Then 'If open, close for update
    deEnvName.rsRecSet.Close
    End If
    deEnvName.rsRecSet.CursorLocation = adUseServer

rptReportName.Show
    End Sub

I am a beginner and have struggled to get this far. I have searched the lounge and find this is similar to <post#=144694>post 144694</post#>. However, the link with the answer doesn't work any more.

I assume a program that is on my machine doesn't exist on the target machine and is not being included in the installation package.

Thanks in anticipation.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Report doesn't run (VB6)

You can download the free MDAC Component Checker from Microsoft and use it to determine your configuration.

If necessary, you can download the latest version of MDAC from Data Access and Storage Developer Center.

And it might help to install the latest version of the Jet Engine - see How to obtain the latest service pack for the Microsoft Jet 4.0 Database Engine.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the speedy reply.

Done that, no change.

Noticed a couple of things:-
    1. During package build there was reference to Jet2.x drivers even though 4.x had been loaded as you suggested
    2. In the PDM file that is produced, MSCOMCTL.OCX is stated to have Out of Date Dependency Information.

Regards,
    John

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Jet2.x? That's an extremely old version. Check Project | References..., and make sure that there is a reference to the Microsoft Jet 4.0 Object Library, not to any 3.x, 2.x or 2.x/3.x versions.

Perhaps you also need to install the latest service pack for Visual Studio 6 - see Service Pack 6, This should ensure that the version information in Mscomtcl.dep corresponds to the installed version of Mscomctl.ocx.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Downloaded and installed SP6.

Looked at Project|References and the only Jet to be seen is 'MS Jet & Replication Objects 2.5 Library' and that is not ticked. No other references to Jet. Should I browse to find the file(s)?

Regards,
    John

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If you clear the reference to 'MS Jet & Replication Objects 2.5 Library', can you still compile your application?

New Lounger
    Thanks

It is not set, only in the display of unchecked items.

Regards,
    John

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry, you already mentioned that. But in that case, I don't understand why there is a reference to Jet2.x during the package build process.

I'm afraid I have no further ideas.