Star Lounger
    Thanks

PC Locked, Can't Boot

My wife was scrolling throygh an e-mail, when the pc quit responding. The mouse, keyboard, on/off button...all quit. She did not lose the screen display. I did not really notice the HDD activity light, but I THINK it was on constantly (no blinking). Nothing worked, so I pressed the reset button, and that was the last I saw of the display.
    When trying to boot, the HDD light is on solid, the CD and DVD lights flash, as if the MOBO is polling hardware...then nothing. The pc should groan/grind a bit, the CD & DVD lights flash, then another little grind, the floppy light should flash and then the screen display should come up...BIOS version, counting RAM, lists HDD's/CD/DVD, etc.
    I can't get into setup or boot from a floppy, as the system doesn't get far enough along.
    David Carter
    David Carter

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: PC Locked, Can't Boot

If you've tried and failed to be able to boot from a floppy boot disk, it kinda sounds like the motherboard has gone south on you. If you're up for the hardware challenge, you could open up the box and remove all cards except the video card and then try booting from a floppy. If the BIOS doesn't get far enough to allow boot from a floppy, I'd say you have a failed motherboard on your hands. BTW, if the machine has more than one stick of RAM, I would also remove all but one. Bare bones as possible. Do you hear any beeping when you turn on the power?

Edited by Bigaldoc to add: I forgot to say you should also try re-seating all cables, internal and external. A loose cable, even a tiny bit, can cause terrible behaviour.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Al,

No beep..just the mournful sound of fans turning, and a solid hdd light. She has two 512MB ram sticks. I checked cables, but will do it again. I set the HDD's to cable select (had a master/slave issue on another pc) so I could disconnect the secondary drive. The only "problem" I have with pulling cards/getting into the box is with my hands/wrists right now. I built this pc and my daughter's. The only difference is that one case is blue, one is beige.
    The MOBO is under warranty, but If that is the problem, I'll have to get someone to do the surgery for me. I have an external USB box that would be useful for looking at the hdd, but again, someone else will have to pull it.
    David Carter

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hey, Al...
    The first memory bank had crept out. Reseating fixed everything. Since the fans and lights came on, the power supply was at least partially working, but the dead stop prior to polling hardware had me bumfuzzled. I did have a CPU come unseated once, but this time it was just the ram. I panicked too soon.
    Thanks,
    DC
    David Carter

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Way To Go, David! Glad you got it whupped (as we say in The Bluegrass).