New Lounger
    Thanks

Project 2000 Project Server 2002 integration (1)

I've been tasked to integrate Project Server 2002 and Project Web Access with Project 2000. I am not a Project user by any means. From my findings on the internet, I have concluded that Project 2000 will not work with Project Server 2002. Additionally, Project Central was included with Project 2000 and Project Server 2002 was made to work with Project Professional 2002. It appears many of our company's software packages have been misplaced. What we have on site is a few licenses of Project 2000, Project Server 2002, and Project Web Access.
    The goal of my company is to have one or two employee(s) (project manager(s) ) in charge of all changes and generation of schedules. A few other employees (project leads) could request changes to the Project Manger. The remaining employees should be able to view schedules.
    I am in need of guidance. Please help
    Thanks
    David
    rivera622@aol.com or david.rivera@kirtland.af.mil

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Project 2000 Project Server 2002 integration (1)

I may be prejudiced ... but keep Project 2000, and try to avoid 2002 (and - even worse - 2003).
    With 2000 you can work together as long as all files are resident on a central standard server, you can use resource pools, and use e-mail notification of resources. Those who just need to look at a project can receive a graphics file (GIF) as attachments to e-mails.
    With 2002 you need the server - which must be a dedicated server - even to send simple e-mails, and the only advantage (?) will be that people (with appropriate regisrations) can access your project files via internet from outside - a dangerous thing by itself ... whether it is really necessary depends on your specific situation.
    By the way: we experimented with a combination of 2000 and 2002 installations (without server). If a project and a resource pool were created by 2000, the 2002 installation could work perfectly with these files, but not the other way round.
    There are other faults in 2002, some of them may just be german language version ... but try for instance to create a report with the option of having totals on the page. Scary. cost column will not have it. but the work column will have one - which adds the subtotals along with the single values and thus shows a completely wrong result. Among other things.