3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Link to Active Directory (XP)

Hi,
    we have recently had Active Directory turned on (or whatever you do when you go from NT4 to Server 2000!) in our company. Can anyone tell me whether it is possible to link Access directly ot the directory so that we can extract information from it, pass it to other applications etc?

Is it possible to update AD from Access?

TIA
    Fatherjack

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Link to Active Directory (XP)

Active Directory is not a folder somewhere on the network, it is a way to manage users, groups and folders. See for example Active Directory Overview.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans, I understand what Active Directory is, what i dont know is how to get information into it from for example a personnel database and an asset database and so make the information in both much more useful. IE where Joe Public works and what assets we need from him, when he is leaving and what his phone number is. Also, as AD stores WAN group information, extracting these group details will allow information permissions to be set in ASP pages on our intranet etc.

In short, AD is here, we can see lots of uses but currently we cannot open it up and get down to making it work for us....

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

You can get information from the Win 2K Active Directory using Active Directory Services Interface (ADSI). Recommend see MSDN for detailed info:

Active Directory Service Interfaces

As noted in overview:

"You can write ADSI client applications in many languages. For most administrative tasks, ADSI defines interfaces and objects accessible from Automation-compliant languages like Microsoft

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I dont want to create an interface as such.

What I would like to do though is have some sort of data transfer process in place where information can come from our HR system (there are others but i think HR will give us the biggest gain) and be made available, via AD, to Exchange/Intranet/etc

Whether this is most easily managed via Access, Excel,SQL Server or Notepad i dont mind, just so long as i can stop the personnel people printing lists of information and posting it to other departments who then type it into their system and tell their staff to print out the new list from their PC and pin it to their wall ....