New Lounger
    Thanks

RRAS limit users

I have a setup where users connect to an FTP machine through RRAS, and then establish an FTP session with the machine by name "MYFTP". Unfortunatelly there is another "MYFTP" on our network but at another country... and somehow my users are trying to connect to that machine. I want to limit my users to only be able to see this machine.

Scenario
    1. The users dial and connect to MYFTP throught RRAS(user=USER1 and passwor=USER2 accepted).
    2. Connection is established and user authenticated
    3. An FTP session is to be established using name FTP and user=USERFTP1 and password=USERFTP1)
    4. When pinging the USERFTP1 the machine that replies is the other machine I have elsewere....
    5. Currently I removed MYFTP from the domain whichworks but makes it difficult to retrieve files from MYFTP.

Please Help!. The users are connecting through Windows CE but the FTP is windows 2000 server.

Thank you in advance for your help!

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: RRAS limit users

I am a bit confused about exactly which are domain names, and which are usernames.

I assume that the two servers have different "Fully Qualified Domain Names" (FQDNs). For example one might be MYFTP.England.YourCo.Com and the other MYFTP.France.YourCo.Com. Can you use this fully qualified name in the connection request instead of just using MYFTP?

Alternatively you could add an entry to the Hosts file on the server the users are connecting from. This hosts entry would map the hostname MYFTP to the correct IP address that you want them to use.

StuartR

New Lounger
    Thanks

Yes the names of the servers are different the way you describe it. Unfortunately I can't change the connection request since it is hardcoded to the application which I can't change. I was also considering the change in the Hosts file and since I get another vote for this I will give it a try.

Thank you for the suggestion. I should have the results by the end of the day.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Another alternative is to modify the order in which suffixes are applied to unqualified hostnames. I can't remember where this is done in Windows 2000, here is a screenshot from Windows XP showing what I mean.

StuartR
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: gif x.GIF (32.7 KB, 1 views)