Thanks

Anomalous File Loading (2002)

I've got two problems, possibly related.

1) Excel has a hard time opening .XLS files when I click on them in a folder. It often happens that Excel opens, but instead of a document in the window, I see my desktop, as though "looking through" Excel. Excel's toolbars and status bars are there, but no document. To recover, I need to close Excel, then reopen it (from a shortcut) and open the file from the File menu.

2) When I open Excel, I want the Startup Task Pane to show. It shows briefly, but then is replaced by Book1.xls. I formerly had Book.xlt in my XLStart folder, but I've deleted it. As I understand it, this should have killed Book1.xls
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Anomalous File Loading (2002)

1) Within Excel, select Tools | Options... and activate the General tab. Make sure that the "Ignore other applications" check box is cleared.

2) If you start Excel by itself, it will always display a blank workbook Book1.xls. That is standard behavior. To control the behavior of the Task Pane, download and install the free TaskPaneController add-in from the Excel MVP Page - scroll to the bottom.

Thanks

1) The "ignore other applications" check box is now, and always has been, cleared. The problem continues, apparently intermittently. I first noticed it on one of my frequently-used files. Now it seems to be happening with others.

2) Thanks for the TaskPaneController tip. I've downloaded it and will install it. I'm confused about the operation of the Tools > Options > View tab > Startup Task Pane checkbox. I've had it checked forever. When I start Excel, I see the Task Pane momentarily, but then it disappears when Book1.xls is displayed. It seems like something else should be happening, but of course I'm not sure.
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If you have workbooks opening automatically (such as Personal.xls), the task pane will be dismissed after being displayed initially. The Task Pane Controller can set a registry entry to avoid this.

I would work through the steps of Jan Karel Pieterse's <!post=Systematic Approach to Behavioral Problems in XL,290455>Systematic Approach to Behavioral Problems in XL<!/post> to see if there is a startup file that causes the strange behavior you describe.

Thanks

Perfect answer for #1. Thanks.

I'll try the one for #2. Thanks again.
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA