4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Column Size in List View (Office XP Word 2002)

We have several users that have an issue with the File/Open dialog box in Word. They're using List View. Only one column of file names displays, then they have a whole bunch of white space where the second column of file names would normally begin, so they have to scroll over to see the second column. In fact, with one user, the veiw was fine, but then she viewed a different folder which had the problem, and when when she switched back to view her default folder, she now has the problem with that one, too. Any ideas?
    egghead

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Column Size in List View (Office XP Word 2002)

Let them try switching to a different view in the Open dialog (Details, for example).

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I should've mentioned that we tried that, but when we switched back, same problem. This problem occured after the upgraded just Outlook to 2003. They still have Office XP for everything else.
    egghead

Thanks

In my experience, the width of each column of the List view is scaled to the longest file or folder name. I can't think of any reason for Office 2003 to behave differently in this regard than Office 2002. Is there any reason to think that new file names are being created as the user browses folders? (Doesn't seem likely...)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I know it's not what you're after, but why not stay in one of the other views?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

You may have already tried this, but is the file of types set to "all files". It may be that there aren't enough files for a second column. Just a thought.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

There are enough files for a second column. The problem is that there is a lot of white space between column one and column two, so they have to scroll way over to see the second column, while there appears to be plenty of wasted space.

They recently upgraded only Outlook to 2003; Word and Excel, etc, remain Office XP.

The only way I can duplicate it is to rename a file so that is has a really long file name. The next time I use the Open dialog box I'll have lots of white space because of the long file name in the first column.

Any ideas are appreciated. I'm currently having them run Detect and Repair to see if that can fix anything!
    egghead

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm not sure. I can duplicate the problem by using a large number of spaces after a single letter (see the "a.doc" in the attachment). I would try making a change in the Arrange Icons & then back again & see if that helps. I'd also try switching between showing All Files, Word Documents, & Office documents to see if that makes a difference. I know that some menu displays are controlled by the DATA key. However, I'm not sure that this one is. Does this happen in other Office programs. If not, then I'd try deleting the DATA key (see <post#=197827>post 197827</post#>. If it's happening in all File Open dialog boxes, then there's a different problem.

What happens if you open Windows Explorer, navigate to a folder that's acting up, choose Details view, & then press Ctrl+NumPadPlus? The latter will make each column long enough to fit the largest item.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I have Office 2003 and the "List" view will default to show the longest file or folder name, while "Details" you can adjust the width and 'Hide" part of the file/folder names.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Dave:
    Yes, but if you go into Details view in Windows Explorer & press Ctrl+NumPadPlus, it will show whether or not there is a filename with a lot of spaces or is otherwise aberrant. I suppose that you could check with List view also.