Lounger
    Thanks

User name/system name (XP Pro)

I recently installed XP Pro on two systems that are connected to a small LAN (workgroup only, no domain). Both used the upgrade package (from Win 98) but one was was a clean install because the upgrade would not run properly.

I specified a computer name and a default user name when asked. The problems:

On both systems, XP wants to use the computer name, not the user name, to log into the network.

On both systems, there is no Administrator user, although the default user is a member of the Administrator group. This means I cannot change the system or default user names.

Question: We can live with this XP nonsense on these systems, but I would really likel to know how to avoid this in the future.

Thanks

Re: User name/system name (XP Pro)

Hi, Ralph ~

Actually, XP makes networking very, very simple in comparison to previous OS versions.

The network uses the computer name, not the user name, which can be discovered by right-clicking 'My Computer' > 'Properties' > 'Computer Name' tab.

Lounger
    Thanks

Actually Windows XP makes networking very very difficult, obtuse and hard to set up, control and understand.

By comparison, Wndows 2000 is logical, simple, easy to set up and maintain. It is also more stable and reliable.

Oh well, that's Microsoft's version of progress.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Ralph, I can't tell you how to avoid the problem in the future 'cause I don't know what happened to cause your situation. It's possible that you entered the names in the wrong place. It's not happened to me. So, I don't know if you want to continue this thread or not. I don't know if you've chosen to logon via the Welcome Screen or the "traditional" two-liner that has name and password boxes. If the Welcome Screen comes up on boot, hit Ctrl-Alt-Del twice to get to the traditional screen. When you see it, enter Administrator as the username and no password to see if the machine boots. Any user with administrator rights is able to change anything about the system, so if one of your usernames has administrator rights, you should be able to do what Bruce suggested.

The reason I suggest the above is that XP installs with a built-in Administrator account, called Administrator. Unless you've already changed something, that account should be there in addition to the "new" username you created at installation (albeit not your desired one). If you can logon with either name, you should be able to correct both the computer name and/or the workgroup name. As for the username, if you got the wrong one and CAN log on as the default Administrator, you can delete the incorrect one and create the username you desire. Let us know if you want to continue, OK?