2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Footnotes for tables (Any)

I've been asked to provide a means to footnote within tables. Obviously, the standard footnote/endnote feature doesn't work here, because it wants to be either at the end of the page or the end of the section or the end of the doc.

Typically, what I've done is use a numbered style, and create cross-refs to the footnotes. OK, fine.
    Now, the client wants to use AMA style, which says that for 10 or fewer footnotes in a table, you should use the following set of symbols: asterisk, dagger, double-dagger, section, parallel lines, paragraph mark, hash, two asterisks, two daggers, two double-daggers.

I can't figure out how to set up a numbered list to use a sequence of symbols. Is this possible (a subset of those symbols is available as a footnote list)?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Footnotes for tables (Any)

Do the footnotes HAVE to be within the table? I can create footnotes that are at the end of the section, and place a continuous section break right after the table. In this way, the footnotes appear just under the table (I can even change the footnote separator so that the line doesn't appear, if it would otherwise fight with the borders of the table), and I retain the AMA symbols. Because I like to have some space between my footnotes and the next text, I might make a style for the first paragraph after a section break with extra white space before.