3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

XPHome, syware and applications

I run Norton systemworks 2003, XPH with all pathes, and, following advice from the lounge after a spyware incident Spyguard and Pest patrol as preventative measures and the usual suspects as analysis.

One of the implications of all this seems to be hot and cold boots take a long time. More, the first time I load an application such as word after a re-boot it seems to take forever, though this improves for any subsequent loads.

My problem is that I dont know whether to grin and bear the performance hit, or get all excited and run a whole series of checks again. Should I expect a worse first time load of an application (antivirus scanning I think), are there any go / nogo combinations of all this helpful software?

Thanks for any advice

Mike C

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: XPHome, syware and applications

Mike

Norton Systemworks (or any such) is a known CPU hog. How many MegaHertz has your CPU, and how much real memory have you got?

The best answer to both questions is <big>lots and lots!</big>. If you only have some, this might be your problem... It's always worth doing a hard disk Defrag, too, every few weeks...

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

What are you starting automatically? You can run MSCONFIG to get a list.

Joe
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hello John,

1.8gig and 256meg respectively. I do defrag fairly regulary with the CPU hog!

Thing is, it didnt used to be like this quite a lively machine when I first got it which has got generally slower as it has got more bloated, but this recent degradation has been significant and rapid. Hence my concern that something has got in there. I really wonder whether I am being paranoid, or right to be suspicious and go on looking for malware.

cheers,

Mike C

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Mike

Initially I would have a look at the Performance information from Windows Task Manager. What figures have you got in the Commit Charge (K) table at the bottom left? Are the Total and Peak figures significantly larger than the Physical Memory (K), Total?

Also click on the Task Manager, Processes tab, and then on the CPU column heading, to sort in decreasing percentage usage of the CPU. What seems to be using the most CPU consistently?

It might be worth Googling for words such as XP Slowdown?

It is certainly worth running Spybot Search & Destroy and Ad-aware Standard, if you haven't already...

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...