3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Installing XP on a SATA drive

I have just built my first PC with a SATA drive (I have built numerous PC's but not using SATA). Expecting no issues all hardware and BIOS set up went fine. When installing XP Home there is "no drive found". The SATA is seen in the BIOS and turned on. The motherboard is an ABIT AN7. Is there a "switch" I need to turn on in the "F6" part of Windows boot? I tried here (F6) placing the floppy in A: as requested (I know this is for RAID and SCSI but it was worth a try) and nothing was found.
    This is not a RAID set up. The HDD is a Seagate Bara. 80 Gig SATA. It is connected to SATA1 (there is no 0) the power is connected via a "Y" adaptor from a molex since the power supply did not natively support SATA power.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Installing XP on a SATA drive

Is it possible that a BIOS update would help? Like you, I have minimal experience with SATA so far but the one experience I did have was positive. I also wonder if power issues may be behind it. Any way you can obtain a PSU that has SATA power outs?
    -Mark

Thanks

Kent,
    Did you check out the support article from Seagate on installing SATA drives on XP? SEAGATE

Also MSKB 313348.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The Motherboard came with 3.5" floppy labeled SATA drivers. However installing / inserting it after pressing F6 during Windows installation did not work, the disk was read but where devices are listed in the F6 page nothing was listed, I did press enter 4 or 5 times and I took the floppy to another machine. It had 3 folders (Intel, Silicon, Via) and a .OEM file in the Root. I tried the Seagate site and that did not resolve my problem.