Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lounger
    Thanks

database won't open until restart (XP)

I have had this problem for quite some time, but I cannot stand it anymore. Every once in a while, when a user tries to open one of the several databases we have set up, the ldb file is created but the database does not appear. You can click on the mdb file as many times as you want, and nothing comes up. The only way to solve the problem is to either restart or to end the MSACCESS process (with evil ctrl+alt+delete). You don't have to delete the ldb file to get it to open after you have ended the process, but the ldb file does remain. Nothing ever gets hurt from either of these methods, but I would just LOVE to know why it does it in the first place and what I can possibly do to fix it. It's definitely possible that it is something really simple or a general database development no-no (I'm self taught, and I'm sure I don't follow the rules). Everything remains compiled, and I make the users compact and repair often. I'm currently redesigning everything and consolidating all of the databases into one, and I've even noticed the problem as I'm designing this new one. Any information you have would be wonderful.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: database won't open until restart (XP)

This certainly is unusual and undesirable behavior.

Does the database appear in the task bar? If so, try cascading or tiling windows from the task bar.
    Do you have a startup form or an AutoExec macro? If so, does the database open if you keep the Shift key down to bypass startup options?

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Hans. Of course it hasn't happened since I read your post, but I'll be sure to try those things the next time it does. It's frustrating mostly because it's so unpredictable. I haven't been able to figure out when it happens, which would give me some kind of idea as to why it happens. But that's how it goes. Thanks again for your help.

Lounger
    Thanks

It happened... The database does not appear in the taskbar, so cascading/tiling does not work. The particular database that did it this time does not have an AutoExec, so shift did not help either. Perhaps it'll just be one of those things with which we'll have to continue to deal. So frustrating!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I agree it's frustrating, but I have no clues how to solve it. If you like, you can post a stripped down copy of a problem database. See <post#=368161>post 368161</post#> for instructions. That would allow Loungers to see if they can reproduce the problem, and to experiment.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

The most common scenario we've seen where this situation occurs is where there is some rogue code still running in the VBA interpreter. Unfortunately, chasing that sort of thing down is a real pain - it usually involves a very systematic set of tests where you try all the different menu options and controls until you get one that causes it to misbehave.
    Wendell

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks again for your thoughts, Hans.

Thank you as well, Wendell. This sounds like the real culprit. However, I'm not sure I understand. You are saying the "rogue code" lives in the interpreter, not something I've done, correct? In that case, would something like a reinstall possibly correct the problem? If not, what are these tests you of which you speak? If it is too complicated to explain, I understand, but thanks in advance anyhow.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

In this case it is code in your database that is the culprit - and it continues to run as long as Access is open. Once you close Access and reopen it, things work correctly. It is sometimes associated with a race condition with controls where each are waiting for the other to complete something. Another possibility is some sort of dialog box that you can't see on the screen and is waiting for you to reply.

The testing involves creating a scenario where you test each menu option successively until you get a failure. Then you try leaving out one of the steps to see if it still fails. You repeat that until you are pretty sure you found the one that causes the problem. Very tedious and time-consuming, especially if you have to manufacture data to do the testing.
    Wendell

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I have experienced this problem but thought it might have been associated with running multiple versions of Office (including Access).

It appears to me that I have attempted to get back into the database too quickly after exiting. There is a compact command on the database on exit and this does slow the procedure so I have come to the conclusion that I need to wait just a minute or so before opening that database.

The open LDB file is as Nezzy points out, not a problem as the database will open happily and display correctly.

If it is rogue code then it is not consistent with a normal file closure in my experience.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I went back and reviewed your initial post, and I think Leigh's comments are on target. I had made an assumption that Access was already open and you were closing one database and trying to open another - we have seen the situation where a database won't shut down. But in your case I presume you are simply double-clicking on an icon to start a database, so in that situation rogue code shouldn't be a problem as Access wasn't open initially. Can you tell us more about the behavior? For example do you have a startup form set under Tools / StartUp? Also, are you working with a secured database?
    Wendell

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your time, Leigh and Wendell. It has happened on several of my databases, not just one. Some of them have startup macros, others do not. Some have VBA code that I have written, others only the code that Access automatically puts in there for command buttons and such. We do not have multiple copies of Office on these computers (it has occurred on three different machines, two running XP and one running 2000). And that is correct, it occurs when we double click on the icon. It just seems odd that I can't figure out anything in particular that is unique about these databases that would make the action occur. I need to start writing down the names of the databases that do it, but I know for sure the one it happened to most recently does not have a startup form. I'm fairly certain it never happens the first time we open the first database of the day, but it can happen to any subsequent database that is opened, including the first database after it has been closed. So maybe the rogue code thing isn't so off after all. I still don't understand how that could be. I just started writing VBA in the last month or two, and this has been a problem for much longer than that. I don't think I'm being very clear, and like I said earlier, I'm redesigning everything, so perhaps it'll just go away. I hope I hope...

Lounger
    Thanks

I apologize. I see this problem has made the board before. I did try to search for it, I promise, and now I've found it using a completely different search term that I wouldn't have thought to use. I see no one has really come up with any solutions, or they have not posted them if they have found them. I just remembered that I've even had this problem at home on an EXTREMELY simple database that has only a table sitting in it (absolutely no code, not even any forms/reports/queries, etc). If the database remains in the Task Manager's Processes (even though it has been closed and is not lurking in the Applications tab), I start having problems with Internet Explorer hanging. As soon as I end the MSACCESS process, Internet Explorer picks up right where it left off and goes on its merry way. How ridiculous!

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Access isn't very nice in the way it handles the processor - if you have code or queries running in a database it doesn't want to yeild the processor. So that does make it sound like something in Access is still running. Perhaps the environment needs to be looked at. What OS are you running, and what service packs have been applied? Also what service packs have been applied to Office XP?
    Wendell

Lounger
    Thanks

We're running Windows XP Professional, Ver. 2002, with SP1. We're also running on Office XP with SP1. At home, I'm running all the same except the Home version with Office XP installed additionally.

Thanks, Wendell.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Well that sounds like a pretty solid environment - short of some sort of installation problem it seems unlikely that it's the culprit. To be sure we're working on the right problem, does the situation ever occur when you open an Access database for the first time after a reboot (or killing Access)? I'm working on the assumption that it only occurs after you've had a database open, and you either close that database and try to open another, or you attempt to open another database with the first still open - is that correct?
    Wendell

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast