5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

pdfmaker.dot corrupts normal.dot? (Word 2003)

We have several users who are experiencing problems now that we have upgraded to Office 2003 and Acrobat 6. When typing in a new or existing document, the text doesn't show up until they click the mouse. We have tried several things and after a lot of research, we figured out that if we delete the pdfmaker.dot file from the Word startup folder, then the issue goes away.

The problem is that the only way we know of to create pdfs with bookmarks is by using the toolbar button (pdfmaker.dot). Printing to the virtual pdf printer doesn't create bookmarks. So...

My question is, has anyone else experienced this problem? I posted a message on the Adobe site and haven't received any response yet.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: pdfmaker.dot corrupts normal.dot? (Word 2003)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

We are using Adobe Acrobat 6, and that error is with 5.0.5. We don't receive any error message. From what Microsoft says, Acrobat 6 is the answer to the error you are talking about.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, I know that, but at the bottom of the MSKB article, there is a link to the 6.0.1 fix for Adobe 6. Check if you already have that fix.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Ah HA! I stopped reading 1/2 way down when I saw 5.0.5. You're right. We do not have the update. We are going to install it and see if it fixes the problem. I'll post back tomorrow and let you know. Thank you!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Deep sigh.. The update does not fix this issue. I installed the update (and 6.0.2 update) and still, when the pdfmaker.dot file is in the Word startup folder, the user starts typing, but the text doesn't display until the user clicks the mouse or presses an arrow key or space bar. I did delete the normal.dot, but the problem recurs until we delete the pdfmaker.dot file from word startup. Any other ideas?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry, no. I don't use Acrobat myself.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Melanie,

The actions you describe (mouse click, arrows) are the same as the ones that trigger the Application_SelectionChange event. Could be a coincidence, I suppose. The version of PDFMaker that I've got access does have an Events module, but only has a Quit event to clean up the toolbar.

As a workaround, maybe you could put your own Add-in in the startup folder that just changes the selection, or something else that will get you past that initial "dead" stage.

Good luck!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

As an aside, while poking around PDFMaker, I think I may have found out why that toolbar won't go away. Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but it looks to me like the toolbar will always be set to visible, regardless of the registry setting ostensibly created to remember whether it should be open or not.

<pre>...
    visible = True

If (RegOpenKeyEx(HKEY_CURRENT_USER, "SoftwareAdobeAcrobatPDFMaker5.0", 0&, _
    KEY_QUERY_VALUE, hKey) = ERROR_NONE) Then
    RegQueryValueExNULL hKey, "WDVisible", 0&, REG_DWORD, 0&, cch
    If (RegQueryValueExLong(hKey, "WDVisible", 0&, REG_BINARY, _
    visible, cch) = ERROR_NONE) Then
    If (visible) Then
    ourToolbar.visible = True
    Else
    ourToolbar.visible = False
    End If
    Else
    End If
    Else
    End If
    </pre>

Thanks

I use Office XP, and have a very intermittent issue where I switch to another application (e.g., Alt+Tab), but I can't do anything until I click it again. Perhaps this is a related problem; "something" is interfering with the process of making the application active even though it is visually "in front." At least in your case you've identified the culprit, sort of.

Perhaps there's a way to "force" this using VBA, but I don't have a sense at the moment of how to do it.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

As you can't review the PDFmaker code to correct the coding issue then I would suggest you remove this template from the startup group so that the default state for Word is to have this addin disabled.

You can create a simple macro to enable/disable PDFMaker at the click of a button and if you do this then the user can turn it on when they wish to create a PDF and then turn it off again after doing so. In fact, you could tie in the initial PDFMaker macro so that there is only one button to click anyway.

Post back if you need help to implement this method as a solution.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sure you can review the code -- just open up the template in OpenOffice, and go to Tools -> Macro. (Clearly whatever encryption algorithm Microsoft uses for "protecting" VBA projects isn't very good.)

However, I have no idea if you'd be able to replace a the PDF maker template with a revised version ... that's a project for someone with more Windows API experience than myself.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I haven't ever loaded OpenOffice. You're right about the weak encryption if that's all it takes to unprotect a protected template.

You shouldn't need to replace the entire code set though - just disabling the code that runs on document open should do the trick - I can't imagine anything useful would be disabled by doing this. It would stop the toolbars recreating themselves and making sure they are displayed each time, and most likely stop the lack of focus problem the user is experiencing.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia