Thread: auto log in

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

auto log in

I have a windows 2000 server that has10 windows XP home computers connected. one of the computers' hard drive crashed. I have the machine back up and running with a new hard drive loaded with XP home. I created a user name and password for this machine. at the server, I added this workstation as part of the same user group as the other machines. the server can see it. The workstation is connected to the network and it can "see" all the other non server computer's shared folders. However, everything we need is on the server. when i am at this workstation and click view workgroup computers, all the computers, including the server appear. but when i double click on the server, it prompts me for the server's user name and password. the other machines have been set up somehow where the server recognizes it as an authorized member.
    How do I make the server recognize this computer when i log onto this machine using the name i created.

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks

Re: auto log in

Did you create the user profile on the server? You need a user account of the same name and password on the server with the appropriate group assignments to access the server resources.

Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

thanks for the reply.
    I had done that. I set up everything on the server the same as the workstation. any other ideas?

Administrator
    Thanks

Check this out Steve Winograd's Networking FAQ. Hope it is not too baisc.

Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

thanks,
    I thinks I have it figured out..

Administrator
    Thanks

Great!!! What was the solution?

Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I'm not sure...After reading and playing around, I hit a mental wall, so I rebooted. while it was rebooting I thought of another idea to try. However, when it came back up, it automatically could connect to the server the way the other machines do. So I guess I fixed it, but I don't know how. I suspect when I changed the passwords again something clicked in place. That was one of the things I was trying before.
    I appreciate you efforts!