Lounger
    Thanks

Track change with wrong reviewer name (Office XP /SP2)

Dear all,

in my organization I have a Word client which show a wrong name for the inserted reviewer in track change. This PC was taken over from a new employee, but when this person use the track change feature and insert text, the reviewer name is shown of the ex-employee, who was using this computer. A brand new user profile was created and also the user information field in Word, options has not the old name. I think, the wrong name must be somewhere in the registry. The person showed me the problem at an existing document and I thought this might be the problem, but when I have created a new document and used track change I could duplicate the problem.

A quick registry search for the old name has not brought any hint, maybe in the normal.dot.

Any hint is highly appreciated.

Regards
    Edy

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Track change with wrong reviewer name (Office XP /SP2)

Tools -> Options -> User Information. The name there is what's used for Track Changes (and comments).

HTH

Lounger
    Thanks

Andrew,

Yes, I know, but the problem is this user information is right. Even thought Word use another name for track change

Regards
    Edy

Thanks

I suppose it's possible that the Registry value which seems to hold this information has become corrupted. (I say seems because I haven't reasearched it, I just poked my nose into the relevant part of the Registry.)

HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftOffice10.0WordUs erInfo
    UserInfo

Because it's a binary value, I don't see any way to determine whether it is correct or not, and I don't know what it stores other than maybe Name, Initials and Address. So I don't know whether it's safe to rename it (UserInfoOld) and restart Word and see what happens, or whether you ought to try to rebuild the profile on a different computer and copy the value over from there.

But maybe the above will help in your research. Hope so.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I think that this information is kept in the DATA key, but I'm not positive. You can follow the instructions in <post#=197827>post 197827</post#> for deleting & replacing the DATA key. As you've mentioned, there might be some corruption because changing Tools/Options/User Information should change the registry.

Lounger
    Thanks

Dear Phil,

I have deleted the data key and it works now.

Thank you very much for the good hint, although you were not positive.

Best regards
    Edy