5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

System not starting without boot disk (WIN XP HOME)

I picked up a HP system about 2 years old. The hard drive had crashed and there was no recovery disk. So I am installing WIN XP HOME (non-HP). Got the operating system loaded ok but whenever it boots, I get an error message as follows; "Windows could not start because of the following ARC firmware boot configuration problem: did not properly generate ARC name for HAL and system paths." I did a Google search and found the solution - which was to create a boot disk with boot.ini, Ntldr and Ntdetect.com on it. Using the boot disk, everything works fine. But when I take the boot disk out of the A drive, I get the error message about ARC. What do I need to do to get the system to boot properly without the floppy boot disk?

Thanks

Re: System not starting without boot disk (WIN XP HOME)

Did you install the operating system on the same hard disk that crashed? If I am reading between the lines correctly, <!mskb=119467>Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 119467<!/mskb> seems to suggest that there may be physical damage to the disk and that the only way to load the operating system is via a boot disk. If this is the case, you may need to replace the hard disk.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

No - I pulled the crashed disk and replaced it with another one. I did have some problems getting the bios to recognize the new disk. The original was a Maxtor and the new one is a Western Digital. I had to use the WD installation disk (EZ Drive) to format the WD and get it to be recognized.

Thanks

Sounds like this could be the Western Digital drive overlay software then. Check out <!post=this thread,375364>this thread<!/post> for some possible solutions.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the tip to the thread. I followed VIKING's suggestion to remove the DDO and other tips and I have it up and starting just fine. Thanks again.